HTC fends off Apple in UK 'slide to unlock' patent lawsuit
HTC and Apple have been locked in patent battles involving smartphones and tablets
IDG News Service - A High Court in the U.K. has ruled that HTC did not infringe on Apple's photo management patent, while stating that three other patents Apple claimed in the lawsuit were invalid, according to HTC.
The three patents declared invalid, include Apple's "slide to unlock" feature, which Apple alleged HTC had infringed on in its smartphones and tablets.
A multi-touch software that Apple had claimed certain HTC devices using Android 2.3 had infringed on was also found not to be patentable, with the Judge declaring it to be computer program.
" HTC is pleased with the ruling, which provides further confirmation that Apple's claims against HTC are without merit," the company said in a statement. "We remain disappointed that Apple continues to favor competition in the courtroom over competition in the marketplace."
Apple could not be immediately reached for comment. A
The ruling, which was issued on Wednesday, gives HTC a victory as the company faces ongoing patent battles with Apple across different countries.
Both companies are fighting legal battles against each other in the U.S., and have sought for import bans on products allegedly infringing on their patents. Shipments of HTC smartphones to the U.S. were recently delayed, as a result of a ruling by the U.S. International Trade Commission that went in favor of Apple. Apple was denied an emergency ban on HTC phones earlier this week by the U.S. International Trade Commission. ITC said it found that Apple had not demonstrated the propriety of temporary emergency action.
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!