HTC fends off Apple in UK 'slide to unlock' patent lawsuit
HTC and Apple have been locked in patent battles involving smartphones and tablets
IDG News Service - A High Court in the U.K. has ruled that HTC did not infringe on Apple's photo management patent, while stating that three other patents Apple claimed in the lawsuit were invalid, according to HTC.
The three patents declared invalid, include Apple's "slide to unlock" feature, which Apple alleged HTC had infringed on in its smartphones and tablets.
A multi-touch software that Apple had claimed certain HTC devices using Android 2.3 had infringed on was also found not to be patentable, with the Judge declaring it to be computer program.
" HTC is pleased with the ruling, which provides further confirmation that Apple's claims against HTC are without merit," the company said in a statement. "We remain disappointed that Apple continues to favor competition in the courtroom over competition in the marketplace."
Apple could not be immediately reached for comment. A
The ruling, which was issued on Wednesday, gives HTC a victory as the company faces ongoing patent battles with Apple across different countries.
Both companies are fighting legal battles against each other in the U.S., and have sought for import bans on products allegedly infringing on their patents. Shipments of HTC smartphones to the U.S. were recently delayed, as a result of a ruling by the U.S. International Trade Commission that went in favor of Apple. Apple was denied an emergency ban on HTC phones earlier this week by the U.S. International Trade Commission. ITC said it found that Apple had not demonstrated the propriety of temporary emergency action.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!