Taiwan warns PC makers that new Apple patent could target ultrabooks
Apple has been granted a patent for the wedge-like design of its MacBook Air devices
IDG News Service - A Taiwanese government office is warning local PC vendors of a new Apple patent for its MacBook Air that could be used in legal action to try and stop the sale of ultrabook models.
Last month, Apple received a U.S. patent for the exterior wedge-like design of its MacBook Air devices. The intellectual property office of Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs, however, worries the patent could create legal problems for ultrabooks, given that the laptops also feature thin and light designs similar to the MacBook Air.
"We are recommending that PC vendors be careful," said Xue Shuhua, a public relations staff member with the office on Wednesday.
Xue noted that Apple has already targeted Taiwanese smartphone vendor HTC in several patent-related complaints that have sought to ban the import of the company's phone into the U.S. The legal battles have recently delayed the shipments of HTC's newest smartphones to the country, the result of a U.S. International Trade Commission ruling.
"Companies that manufacture ultrabooks should avoid the Apple patent when producing their products," Xue said. The office plans to hold a meeting with Taiwan's PC manufacturers, but has yet to decide when or which companies to talk with.
Taiwan's PC vendors include Acer and Asus, both of which sell ultrabook models in the U.S.
Acer said in a statement, "Apple's patent on the teardrop profile design is different to Acer's ultrabook design. Hence, currently, the patent has no impact on Acer."
Asus could not be reached for comment.
The warning is just the latest move by Taiwan's electronics industry to try and fend off patent disputes. Last year, a major Taiwanese research institute announced it was creating an intellectual property "bank" to acquire patents in Taiwan and abroad as a way to protect vendors from further patent infringement lawsuits.
Intel, which defined the ultrabooks category, declined to comment.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!