Twitter turns off 'tweet' tap to LinkedIn
It's just going to be a one-way street now: LinkedIn status updates will feed to Twitter but not vice versa
IDG News Service - Twitter messages will go down a one-way street on LinkedIn after Twitter shuts off its flow of data to the professional networking site on Friday.
LinkedIn users can still opt to share their status updates written on its website with Twitter, but not the other way around. In an email to users, LinkedIn said Twitter had "evolved its strategy."
"We know that sharing updates from LinkedIn to Twitter is a valuable service for our members," according to the notice. "Moving forward, you will still be able to share updates with your Twitter audience by posting them on LinkedIn."
LinkedIn users can push their content to Twitter by checking a box with Twitter's icon and clicking "share."
The two companies had worked together since 2009. Twitter was oblique about the changes and didn't mention LinkedIn, writing that it did not want developers to mimic its application.
Michael Sippey, a Twitter group product manager, wrote on Friday that the company is developing a platform that would allow applications to run within Twitter messages.
Also under development are features that allow developers to more deeply integrate Twitter into their sites, including "follow" and "tweet" buttons, embeddable tweets and a search widget, he wrote.
"These efforts highlight the increasing importance of us providing the core Twitter consumption experience through a consistent set of products and tools," Sippey wrote.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts