Twitter turns off 'tweet' tap to LinkedIn
It's just going to be a one-way street now: LinkedIn status updates will feed to Twitter but not vice versa
IDG News Service - Twitter messages will go down a one-way street on LinkedIn after Twitter shuts off its flow of data to the professional networking site on Friday.
LinkedIn users can still opt to share their status updates written on its website with Twitter, but not the other way around. In an email to users, LinkedIn said Twitter had "evolved its strategy."
"We know that sharing updates from LinkedIn to Twitter is a valuable service for our members," according to the notice. "Moving forward, you will still be able to share updates with your Twitter audience by posting them on LinkedIn."
LinkedIn users can push their content to Twitter by checking a box with Twitter's icon and clicking "share."
The two companies had worked together since 2009. Twitter was oblique about the changes and didn't mention LinkedIn, writing that it did not want developers to mimic its application.
Michael Sippey, a Twitter group product manager, wrote on Friday that the company is developing a platform that would allow applications to run within Twitter messages.
Also under development are features that allow developers to more deeply integrate Twitter into their sites, including "follow" and "tweet" buttons, embeddable tweets and a search widget, he wrote.
"These efforts highlight the increasing importance of us providing the core Twitter consumption experience through a consistent set of products and tools," Sippey wrote.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!