Judge considers hearing on improper Megaupload seizure
There's disagreement about how many legitimate Megaupload customers there were. Megaupload has claimed 180 million customers, but the DOJ contends there were less than 67 million registered users just before the site was shut down. Less than 6 million customers ever uploaded a file to Megaupload, the DOJ contends.
Samuels noted that a New Zealand judge ruled this week that the search warrants used to seize external hard drives, laptops and phones from founder Dotcom's mansion in January were illegal.
O'Grady asked if the DOJ has prevented Goodwin from accessing his files.
"Absolutely, it has," said Abraham Sofaer, another lawyer representing Goodwin. "These warrants are highly questionable, based on any logic."
Separately on Friday, O'Grady rejected requests by Megaupload's lawyers to challenge the DOJ seizure of the company's assets, saying the request is premature. Dotcom and other defendants are challenging extradition to the U.S., and he's still considering the motion to dismiss the case, he wrote.
Friday's hearing was encouraging for Goodwin and other people who stored legal files on Megaupload, Samuels said. O'Grady "appears to be concerned" about people who stored legitimate files on the service, she said.
Nearly everyone, "except the government," understands the need for customers to recover their files, she said.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different.... All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts