CIO - During my recent travels, I met with a leading angel investor and we talked about the amazing roll that the technology sector is on right now. Consider the incredible amounts of investment flowing into companies like Facebook, Jive, LinkedIn, Instagram, Yammer, Box and DropBox. Or spend a few days at events like DEMO (our Silicon Valley-based conference for emerging technologies), and you'll see why investors are so enthusiastically drawn to the technology startup community.
I asked my investor friend what he considers the "special sauce" that convinces him to buy into a technology startup. He replied with five simple words: social, mobile, geolocation, gaming and commerce (meaning both the online and mobile varieties). If a company does three of these things in concert, it gets his attention. Four of them and he's seriously interested. Five and it's guaranteed his checkbook will be open.
What is so fascinating about venture capitalists is that they always seem to be ahead of the market. How do they catch those waves so early? How do they know a certain company will be a hit while others will fizzle? My friend said it's not necessarily about the company or its leadership team, but about the trends themselves. In today's market, the business trends of tomorrow are being created by what's happening now in the social and consumer ecosystems.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for High Performance Databases Learn how Vblock™ Specialized Systems have been designed to deliver high performance in the millions of IOPS - with millisecond response times.
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage aspects as well
- What are the desktop virtualization market trends and how can you successfully deploy your solution? You've probably heard about desktop virtualization -- and some of its benefits -- things like tighter security, streamlined management and lower costs. But... All Infrastructure Management White Papers | Webcasts