Chrome for iOS snatches top spot on App Store
Within hours of its release, browser leads the list of free downloads for iPhone, iPad
Computerworld - Google Chrome, released yesterday for the iPhone and iPad, has already snatched the top spot in Apple's App Store.
As of 11 a.m. ET Friday, Chrome held the No. 1 position on both the iPhone and iPad free app download lists.
Google launched Chrome for iOS on Thursday, first announcing the browser at its Google I/O developers conference early in the day, with the app showing up several hours later on Apple's App Store.
Reviews for Chrome have been overwhelmingly positive, with 80% of the more than 3,700 posted so far giving the browser a five-star rating, the highest possible. The average rating is four-and-a-half stars.
In effect, Chrome for iOS is a "skin" -- of Google's user interface (UI) and additional features -- covering Safari.
Some of the App Store reviewers noticed.
Chrome for iOS, like all browsers in the App Store, lacks support for Adobe's Flash Player. Apple has been adamant about keeping Flash out of its e-mart, and off its mobile devices.
But browsers on other mobile platforms, notably Google's own Android, are also going sans Flash: Chrome for Android, which Google launched in beta in February and shifted into its "stable" channel earlier this week, also lacks Flash.
Yesterday, Adobe confirmed that it will not create a certified edition of Flash for Android 4.1, aka "Jelly Bean," reiterating promises it made late in 2011 that it would abandon development of Flash for mobile browsers.
Thursday, Adobe also announced that it will block new installations of Flash for Android as of Aug. 15, allowing only those users which already have Flash to receive updates.
Chrome can be downloaded free-of-charge from the App Store in versions for the iPhone and iPad.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Heartbleed flaw affects mobile apps, too
- Microsoft gets strategic with its Enterprise Mobility Suite
- Apple slates WWDC for June 2-6, sets up ticket lottery
- Nadella to Cook on Office revenue sharing: Drop dead
- Update: Microsoft unveils Office for iPad
- iOS tops Android for Web browsing in U.S. and other developed nations
- Apple ships iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, home screen crash fix
- Apple to fix iOS 7 crash bug
- Apple rang up $10B in app sales in 2013
- Balky browsers tick off tablet owners
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!