Google Wallet launches support for subscriptions
The company will also deliver improved analytics to help business owners see what works
IDG News Service - Google Wallet launched support for recurring subscription payments and has begun automatically assigning the lower of two fees for processing payments, Pali Baht, Google Wallet product manager for digital goods said at the I/O conference on Wednesday.
Baht said support for subscriptions had been the single most asked-for feature for the digital wallet app. The feature will allow developers to support users in buying in-game currencies or access to online content.
When used through the Web, Google Wallet has up till now charged vendors a 5% fee on all charges to process payments. But it changed on Wednesday to a 5% fee, which favors small transactions, or a 1.9% rate plus 30 cents, which is more favorable for larger transactions. Google will eliminate the need for the vendor to choose between the rates by automatically assigning the lower of the two rates for every transaction. The decision-making process factors in currency exchange rates for transactions in currencies other than U.S. dollars.
The changes initially apply only to digital goods and purchases through the Web, not to real goods or sales made using the mobile app that relies on an NFC (near-field communication) sensor and stores the payment information locally rather than on the cloud.
Robin Dua, Wallet's head of product management for consumer payments, said Google doesn't make money on purchases made through the mobile app.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!