HP improves thin client performance with new tool
HP also added an ARM-based client to its hardware portfolio
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard's new Velocity software helps IT staff optimize network performance for users who work on its thin or zero clients, the company said Wednesday.
The Velocity software, which is installed on both client and server, has been designed to improve thin client performance on networks that are buckling under the load of bandwidth-hungry applications and for telecommuters working offsite using bad network connections, according to HP.
It does this by correcting network packet-loss errors without having to resend the packet, preventing noticeable latency, HP said.
HP Velocity is available worldwide as a standard feature on the t510 and the t610 thin clients. It will also be available on the HP t410 Smart Zero Client and HP t410 All-in-One Smart Zero Client beginning in August.
The t410 Smart Zero Client is a new addition to HP's portfolio that will be available in August priced from $269, according to the company. It is aimed at call centers, education, healthcare, government and hospitality environments.
The t410 is powered by an ARM-based processor from Texas Instruments and has support for dual displays, each with a resolution of up to 1,920-by-1,080 pixels. It can be used in Microsoft, Citrix and VMware environments.
ARM-processors are mostly known for powering smartphones, but have also become more popular on thin and zero clients.
Earlier this year Wyse Technology launched the T10, which also uses an ARM-based processor.
The reasoning behind that hardware choice was that ARM-based processors are very power efficient, which means it is easier to keep the client cool and it also becomes possible to build very small units, Wyse said at the time, and added that the processors are quite cheap, which helps keep the cost of the product down.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts