IBM freezes salaries of executives, many workers
Only employees with high-demand skills will get raises; may be part of aggressive plan to meet goals of 2015 roadmap
Computerworld - IBM this year won't be awarding pay raises to its executives or to many of its workers in its Global Technology Services unit.
The company said it is only giving pay raises to workers with high-demand skills that the company needs.
IBM typically awards raises during the mid-year period.
"There are targeted skill groups of employees that are eligible for salary increases in 2012," said Trink Guarino, an IBM spokeswoman. "No executives will be eligible for salary increases."
Business Insider Tuesday published an internal IBM memo announcing the action that was sent to employees from Global Technology Services executives.
One IBM employee, who didn't want to be identified, said he believes the lack of pay raises "is part of IBM's hyper-aggressive plan to meet its 2015 roadmap."
That IBM roadmap lays out an aggressive growth strategy, which calls for increasing the company's earnings per share by $20 by 2015.
The employee noted that the company has been spending billions in stock buybacks, but says it can't afford pay increases.
Rather than reaching profit goals "the old-fashioned way by increasing market share, developing and selling new products," the company is "maniacally focused on cutting labor costs and off-shoring work to low-cost countries," the employee said.
IBM's roadmap also calls for a major expansion of its cloud businesses, increasing the revenue from growth markets from about $21% to 30%, and for an expansion of its Smarter Planet initiatives.
The company has been steadily cutting its U.S. workforce through layoffs and early retirements in recent months while its worldwide employment numbers increase.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IBM profit falls 21% on weak hardware sales, transition costs
- Server makers rush their Heartbleed patches
- AI gets its groove back
- The Mainframe Isn't Dead, and Neither Is the PC
- Collaboration 2.0: Old meets new
- How to Support Windows XP Now That Microsoft Isn't
- 50 years later, a mainframer recalls 'a fantastic time to be an engineer'
- Mainframe turns 50: IBM System/360 launch was dawn of enterprise IT
- Oracle overtakes IBM as second-largest software vendor, Gartner says
- Cross-industry IoT group pushes for gear that works together
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All IT Careers White Papers |
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.