HP reports 'higher than expected' failures of some desktop PC motherboards
No recall issued, but HP extends warranty 12 months to offer free board replacement
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard has identified a high rate of logic board failures in its popular Pavilion line of desktop PCs, and has offered customers a one-year warranty extension to cover possible repairs, Computerworld has learned.
The problem with numerous models in its Pavilion line, said HP in an email to owners today, is that they "have system boards with a slightly higher than expected failure rate."
Pavilion Elite HPE-4xx, Pavilion P66xx and Pavilion Slimline S5660f desktops built in June and July 2010 may have flakey motherboards. "[These] computers may experience no video at start up and stop responding," said HP in its email.
The company has not recalled the machines, but has instead added 12 months of warranty to the existing plans that cover the PCs. Customers whose warranties have expired have one year to report symptoms.
In all cases, HP will repair the system by replacing the motherboard free of charge. It will also pay for round-trip shipping between the user and its repair facilities.
A support document on the company's website spelled out the warranty extension, listed the serial number range of the impacted PCs, and described the symptoms that could stem from a board failure, including no video after powering on, lock-ups at the POST (Power On Self Test) screen, or endless reboots.
Turn-around time for a PC with a bad motherboard may be as long as three weeks, warned HP. "After HP receives your computer, HP will use its best efforts to repair and ship your computer to you within 10 to 14 business days," the online support document stated.
HP claimed that only a "small percentage of systems in the serial number range" have either already experienced, or may experience in the future, a motherboard failure.
The company did not immediately reply to questions Tuesday asking it to quantify the size of the affected PC pool, whether there was any danger of fire because of the logic board problem, and whether users' data stored on the machines' hard disk drives might be at risk.
Only U.S. and Canadian customers are eligible for the warranty extension and possible free motherboard swap.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disk storage sales gets year-end boost
- Bug bounty operator presses vendors to pick up patching pace
- Server market revenue down 4.4% in Q4
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 7 lives!
- HP unveils first 64-bit Windows 8.1 tablets with Intel Atom
- HP brings 'couch potato' model to Pavilion line
- Microsoft tries to jumpstart cheap Windows devices with license price cut
- HP reverses decline in PC sales, claims broad progress in quarter
- HP eyes acquisitions and divestitures, CEO Whitman says
- Intel's new Xeon server chip pushes Itanium closer to end
Read more about PCs in Computerworld's PCs Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Apple-ization of the Enterprise The growing wave of BYOD and increasing numbers of Apple hardware in the workplace holds major implications and opportunity for today's software companies.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts