InfoWorld - Anyone who has virtualized the server environment understands the enormous amount of flexibility delivered via virtualization. Common tasks such as deploying a server for a new application or creating an entire multiserver development environment to test a new software package take a fraction of the time that they would with a physical environment. Better yet, doing so appears to be nearly free: no purchase orders for new hardware, no waiting for shipment, and no hunting for rack space.
However, with great power comes great responsibility. All too often, the agility blessings of virtualization become a curse as the number of virtual machines spirals out of control. If left unchecked, this VM sprawl can have serious security and licensing consequences -- not to mention sapping precious (and expensive) storage resources.
Unsurprisingly, a wide array of management products have been developed to tackle the VM lifecycle management challenge. However, if you're a relatively small shop, spending money on a niche management tool (and having the time to use it fully) may not be in the cards. If you find yourself in that boat, heer are five simple rules of thumb that should help.
Rule No. 1: VMs are not free
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- ROI Benefits from Automating Application Delivery Solutions One of the key tenets of a modern data center is the ability to leverage technologies that enable automation in order to accelerate...
- Video moves into IT's sweet spot Moving onto shared IT infrastructure, as well as mobile devices, video technology is finding its way into a wide range of organizations and...
- What Is The Cloud Doing To Your Data Center? In this webcast, we'll look at ways you can distill cloud computing down to principles that you can apply to how you manage...
- Unbox Your Load Balancer Your applications are getting more distributed, virtualized and pushed into the cloud today. But as the world progresses to multi-cloud deployments and sophisticated... All Infrastructure Management White Papers | Webcasts