InfoWorld - Server virtualization, converged networking, and scalable intelligent storage are rapidly becoming de facto standards for data center infrastructures everywhere. Sizing a new infrastructure is no longer a question of exactly how many of what brand of server you might need to buy, but one of how much raw compute power and storage capacity and performance you require -- regardless of how it might be assembled. Although huge differences exist between various vendors' implementations of these features, this phenomenon is ultimately leading to a commoditization of data center infrastructure tech.
At the leading edge of that commoditization are four of the largest infrastructure tech players; Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and a partnership among Cisco Systems, EMC, and EMC's VMware subsidiary, called VCE. Through partnerships and acquisitions, these vendors have each worked to produce soup-to-nuts virtual infrastructure bundles that include all the hardware and software comprising a data center -- including virtualization hosts, networking hardware, storage, and in some cases, private cloud management software to tie it all together.
For organizations looking for a very fast and easy way to deploy greenfield data center infrastructure without having to deal with the hassle of a detailed design and a stack of compatibility matrices, these all-in-one bundles can be an enormous time-saver. However, this bundling is not always good for customers.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Reasons To Migrate From Cisco (ACE) to Riverbed Stingray ADC As you consider refreshing your legacy Cisco ACE application delivery infrastructure, consider migrating to the Riverbed® Stingray™ family of products and learn the...
- The Sky's the Limit for Eclipse Aerospace and VCE This case study highlights how Eclipse was able to unlock critical IP, support business growth, dial up or down resources without having to...
- Implementing Agile Systems Management in Cloud and Virtual Infrastructure The solution to the obstacle stopping enterprises from realizing the benefits of cloud computing- how to extend existing enterprise management applications to the...
- Maximize Efficiency in Your Virtual Environment with Converged Solutions Efficiency is the key to success in IT, especially in a virtual environment. But traditional infrastructure management and inflexible architectures can be costly...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts