InfoWorld - Server virtualization, converged networking, and scalable intelligent storage are rapidly becoming de facto standards for data center infrastructures everywhere. Sizing a new infrastructure is no longer a question of exactly how many of what brand of server you might need to buy, but one of how much raw compute power and storage capacity and performance you require -- regardless of how it might be assembled. Although huge differences exist between various vendors' implementations of these features, this phenomenon is ultimately leading to a commoditization of data center infrastructure tech.
At the leading edge of that commoditization are four of the largest infrastructure tech players; Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and a partnership among Cisco Systems, EMC, and EMC's VMware subsidiary, called VCE. Through partnerships and acquisitions, these vendors have each worked to produce soup-to-nuts virtual infrastructure bundles that include all the hardware and software comprising a data center -- including virtualization hosts, networking hardware, storage, and in some cases, private cloud management software to tie it all together.
For organizations looking for a very fast and easy way to deploy greenfield data center infrastructure without having to deal with the hassle of a detailed design and a stack of compatibility matrices, these all-in-one bundles can be an enormous time-saver. However, this bundling is not always good for customers.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- ROI Benefits from Automating Application Delivery Solutions One of the key tenets of a modern data center is the ability to leverage technologies that enable automation in order to accelerate...
- Video moves into IT's sweet spot Moving onto shared IT infrastructure, as well as mobile devices, video technology is finding its way into a wide range of organizations and...
- What Is The Cloud Doing To Your Data Center? In this webcast, we'll look at ways you can distill cloud computing down to principles that you can apply to how you manage...
- Unbox Your Load Balancer Your applications are getting more distributed, virtualized and pushed into the cloud today. But as the world progresses to multi-cloud deployments and sophisticated... All Infrastructure Management White Papers | Webcasts