If you are going to build a private cloud, Eucalyptus is the tool you're looking for, says CEO Mickos
Network World - There are a growing number of open source cloud infrastructure players in the market, but Eucalyptus says it is the best bet for private enterprise clouds. Network World Editor in Chief John Dix caught up with CEO Marten Mickos, who, as the former CEO of MySQL, has loads of experience growing significant open source companies, to learn more about the company and how Mickos sees private clouds evolving. Mickos addresses where Eucalyptus fits in, typical use cases, how they are different from Piston Cloud and OpenStack, ties to Amazon (described as the Linux of today), the importance of migrating jobs to and from public clouds, plans for the $30 million in capital Eucalyptus just raised, and more in this wide-ranging chat.
You describe yourselves as an infrastructure-as-a-service software company, but why not just call yourself a private cloud software provider?
Many times we do call ourselves a private cloud software company. I think from your perspective, when you look at us and other vendors in this space, we all have different terminology for what we are. Others call themselves an orchestration layer or a cloud operating system or a cloud platform or private cloud platform, and they all essentially mean the same thing, which I think shows this market is still in its formative stages.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- Enterprise Cloud Deployment Strategies Three primary cloud deployment strategies are available today for enterprise software-public cloud, private cloud and hybrid cloud.
- Five Must-Haves for Enterprise File Sync and Share Flexibility Valuable enterprise data lives on endpoint devices, changes constantly and flows freely throughout organizations.
- Checklist for Enterprise-Readiness--Why CrashPlan Ranks #1 for Enterprise Endpoint Backup It's no secret IT organizations have a large number of applications available to them, but how do they determine which are worthy of...
- Spotlight On: Private Cloud Endpoint Backup Need total control over your data and destiny? Does your IT strategy mandate on-premises or inside-the-firewall solutions? Then a private cloud approach to...
- IT Can Be Done: How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Let's face it. Today's enterprise IT is faced with an increasingly challenging landscape, as the proliferation of personal devices in the work place... All Private Cloud White Papers | Webcasts