Microsoft may be building own smartphones
Analyst cites sources that say Microsoft may offer own Windows Phone 8-based smartphones as well as Surface tablets
Computerworld - After Microsoft announced this week that it will sell a pair of branded Surface tablets, an analyst suggested that the company is also working with a contract manufacturer to build its own Windows Phone 8-based smartphone.
Rick Sherlund, an analyst at Nomura said in a note to investors that industry sources have told him that Microsoft may already be working with a contract manufacturer on the new handset.
"It is unclear to us whether this would be a reference platform or whether this may be a go-to-market Microsoft branded handset," Sherlund said.
"We would not be surprised if Microsoft were to decide to bring their own handset to market next year given that Microsoft has decided to bring to market their own Windows 8 "Surface' tablet/PC products," he added
Some reports, including one in Business Insider, suggest that Microsoft might need to build its own hardware if struggling Nokia, a key hardware partner, falls into deeper trouble. Such problems could imperil its Windows Phone partnership with the Redmond software giant, the reports said.
Just last week, Nokia announced plans to lay off 10,000 workers amid financial troubles and slow sales of its Lumia devices that run Windows Phone 7.
The Windows Phone 8 operating system won't run existing Windows Phones, which analysts predict could further hurt Nokia sales in the coming months.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Microsoft plans to patch critical under-attack IE bug next week
- Ballmer regrets not aping Apple sooner
- OS upgrades: Cheap is better than pricey, free is better than cheap
- Update: More top-tier Microsoft execs head for the door
- Microsoft ships Office 2013 SP1 the old-fashioned way
- Microsoft's 'go-low' play puts Windows revenue on the line
- Microsoft: Android Nokia not our call to make
- Gates sells another 20M shares; lead over Ballmer shrinks to nearly nothing
- Hey Microsoft, where's the next Mac Office?
- Microsoft dubs 'confusing' Office Web Apps as Office Online
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts