Larry Ellison to buy Hawaiian island
Lanai boasts two resort hotels and two championship golf courses
IDG News Service - Larry Ellison might have a new place to dock his yacht. The billionaire CEO of Oracle has reached an agreement to buy 98 percent of Lanai, one of Hawaii's eight main islands.
The deal, which requires state approval, will see Ellison purchase 88,000 acres of island land from fellow billionaire David Murdock, according to a filing made Wednesday with Hawaii's Public Utilities Commission.
Lanai, advertised by the state tourist board as "Hawaii's most enticing island," is said to be "without an single traffic light," but what it lacks in transport infrastructure it makes up for in opulence. Lanai is home to two Four Seasons resort hotels and two championship golf courses, both of which Ellison will own if the deal goes through.
The price of the sale was not announced but the state filing said it was in the "hundreds of millions of dollars."
Lanai is home to 3,200 people and Ellison, the filing said, "anticipates making substantial investments in Lanai and is looking forward to partnering with the people of Lanai to chart the island's future."
Lanai is one of two of the major islands that is largely in private hands. The other, Niihau, is off the west coast of Kauai.
Ellison founded Oracle in 1977 and is ranked number six on Forbes' billionaires list with an estimated net worth of US$36 billion. Murdock, from whom Ellison is buying the island, is ranked at number 442 with an estimated net worth of $2.7 billion.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @@martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts