Larry Ellison to buy Hawaiian island
Lanai boasts two resort hotels and two championship golf courses
IDG News Service - Larry Ellison might have a new place to dock his yacht. The billionaire CEO of Oracle has reached an agreement to buy 98 percent of Lanai, one of Hawaii's eight main islands.
The deal, which requires state approval, will see Ellison purchase 88,000 acres of island land from fellow billionaire David Murdock, according to a filing made Wednesday with Hawaii's Public Utilities Commission.
Lanai, advertised by the state tourist board as "Hawaii's most enticing island," is said to be "without an single traffic light," but what it lacks in transport infrastructure it makes up for in opulence. Lanai is home to two Four Seasons resort hotels and two championship golf courses, both of which Ellison will own if the deal goes through.
The price of the sale was not announced but the state filing said it was in the "hundreds of millions of dollars."
Lanai is home to 3,200 people and Ellison, the filing said, "anticipates making substantial investments in Lanai and is looking forward to partnering with the people of Lanai to chart the island's future."
Lanai is one of two of the major islands that is largely in private hands. The other, Niihau, is off the west coast of Kauai.
Ellison founded Oracle in 1977 and is ranked number six on Forbes' billionaires list with an estimated net worth of US$36 billion. Murdock, from whom Ellison is buying the island, is ranked at number 442 with an estimated net worth of $2.7 billion.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @@martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts