That's the thinking behind Quizboard, an iPhone and iPod touch offering from Planeto that brings the increasingly well-worn "with friends" style of gameplay to a Trivial Pursuit-esque test of knowledge. Familiar though the formula may be, it works with this style of trivia game--and it should become even better once the developer finds the right level of difficulty for the questions.
(Image Caption: Fight to the Finish: In Quizboard, you and your opponent are trying to reach the star square by answering question to advance across the gameboard. Bonus squares and other factors add a strategic element to this trivial contest.)
Quizboard lets you find opponents by inviting contacts stored on your iOS device, inviting Facebook friends, or finding a random rival. (The app also keeps a record of the people you play, making it all the easier to challenge them to a rematch.)
Once the game begins, it's not simply a matter of answering trivia questions to see who can get the most right. Rather, Quizboard adopts a board game-style interface: You and your opponent move across a game board, advancing one space for each correct answer, until you reach the designated finish line. You follow the same path as your opponent--in other words, you pick up the path on the game board where she left off. Along the way, there are squares with bonus points and multipliers--think the Double Letter Score tiles in Scrabble--to further bolster your points. Whoever has the most points when one player reaches the finish line wins the game.
Gameplay is asynchronous in the style popularized by Words With Friends. You answer five questions, advancing a space for each one you get right, and then you wait for your opponent to take a turn. (Notifications alert you when it's time for you to play.) You play by dragging a category onto the tile you want to move to--a slightly awkward approach that would work better if you could just tap a category and then tap the targeted square.
The game board style of play adds a strategic element to Quizboard. If you've got fewer points than your opponent, for example, you may not want to chart out a direct path to the finish line; instead, you'd take a more indirect course with the hope of building up your point total. Since you get more points by answering consecutive questions correctly, you'll also want to make sure you're playing the bonus tiles on your fourth or fifth question. The strategic considerations keep the game interesting.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts