Microsoft's Bing counters Google with Yelp partnership
Bing adding Yelp reviews to its search results page, taking a swipe at Google and Zagat
Computerworld - Microsoft didn't just sit around and idly watch Google take the lead in local search with its partnership with Zagat.
Microsoft's search engine Bing will now feature content from Yelp, an online company that helps people find great restaurants, hotels and stores based on users' opinions. Bing will feature Yelp info on search results pages.
The new feature began rolling out in the U.S. on Thursday and should be available across the nation within a few weeks, according to Yelp.
"Whether it's discovering the right restaurant, planning the evening's entertainment or finding local services, Yelp has emerged as a proven and trusted resource," said Mike Nichols, general manager of Bing, in a statement. "Enabling people to do more with search involves building a spectrum of features and data that people trust..."
The Bing and Yelp partnership comes on the heels of Google unveiling Google+ Local, a service that gives users Zagat restaurant reviews and Google+ friend recommendations along side of their traditional search results.
The new feature, which was announced late in May, isn't just for Google+ users. Google+ Local is available as a tab in Google+ but it also can be integrated into Google search, and the Google Maps mobile app.
Google's move to integrate Zagat reviews into its social network didn't come as any surprise. Google bought the restaurant ratings publisher last September. Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of local, maps and location services, said in a blog post at the time that "Zagat will be a cornerstone of our local offering."
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst at ZK Research, said in a previous interview that search is branching out.
"This is all part of the evolution of search being more than just finding things," he added. "Today I search, I get a result, then I go to Zagat or Google+ to find reviews. Having them instantly available saves steps and time."
Microsoft has been focused on updating Bing in recent weeks.
Last week, the company announced that it was expanding Bing search results by partnering with the Encyclopedia Britannica to add more data to its search results.
Bing now includes Britannica Online answers directly in the Bing results page.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yahoo can't stall Bing rollout in Taiwan, Hong Kong
- Google keeps Bing, Yahoo at bay in search business
- Google updates Google Now, makes it more prominent on phones
- Yahoo to focus on search -- and Google
- Microsoft's Bing counters Google with Yelp partnership
- Mozilla dumps Yandex as default search for Russian Firefox
- Google aims to make search smarter, easier
- Microsoft Bing goes social in search war with Google
- Facebook tries to out-Google Google with new search tool
- Google, Microsoft each seek search 'game changer'
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts