CIO - How do I effectively communicate with my leadership-level peers?
Always plan your communication; never wing it. Planning helps you be purposeful and increase your chances of achieving the results you seek. Take five minutes to plan your message with a few simple steps. First: Determine your high-level business outcome. Next: Consider your audience and where they're coming from. The more you know about someone, the better you can influence them and move them to action. Then: Choose the right method to communicate. I recommend face-to-face or voice-to-voice when possible because you get immediate feedback. Finally: Know what you'll do if your time is cut short. If you have half an hour for your meeting, be ready to present in 15 or even 5 minutes.
Sometimes send a fact sheet in advance of an important conversation, especially when detailed information is critical to making an informed decision. This is especially important for CEOs who make decisions based more on facts than feelings. Also, there are times when an outside perspective is valuable to build your case. Often a consultant can deliver a tough message more easily.
Never make things up. The higher you get in an organization, the more you need truth tellers around you, and the fewer there are. There's great power and credibility in honesty. And never delay, holding out for absolutely all the information--especially when delivering bad news. By then it will be too late. Someone is going to fill the communication vacuum with their messaging instead of yours, and you'll be on the defensive.
David Grossman is CEO of The Grossman Group, a strategic leadership development and internal communication consultancy.
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- ROI Benefits from Automating Application Delivery Solutions One of the key tenets of a modern data center is the ability to leverage technologies that enable automation in order to accelerate...
- Video moves into IT's sweet spot Moving onto shared IT infrastructure, as well as mobile devices, video technology is finding its way into a wide range of organizations and...
- What Is The Cloud Doing To Your Data Center? In this webcast, we'll look at ways you can distill cloud computing down to principles that you can apply to how you manage...
- Unbox Your Load Balancer Your applications are getting more distributed, virtualized and pushed into the cloud today. But as the world progresses to multi-cloud deployments and sophisticated... All Infrastructure Management White Papers | Webcasts