CIO - How do I effectively communicate with my leadership-level peers?
Always plan your communication; never wing it. Planning helps you be purposeful and increase your chances of achieving the results you seek. Take five minutes to plan your message with a few simple steps. First: Determine your high-level business outcome. Next: Consider your audience and where they're coming from. The more you know about someone, the better you can influence them and move them to action. Then: Choose the right method to communicate. I recommend face-to-face or voice-to-voice when possible because you get immediate feedback. Finally: Know what you'll do if your time is cut short. If you have half an hour for your meeting, be ready to present in 15 or even 5 minutes.
Sometimes send a fact sheet in advance of an important conversation, especially when detailed information is critical to making an informed decision. This is especially important for CEOs who make decisions based more on facts than feelings. Also, there are times when an outside perspective is valuable to build your case. Often a consultant can deliver a tough message more easily.
Never make things up. The higher you get in an organization, the more you need truth tellers around you, and the fewer there are. There's great power and credibility in honesty. And never delay, holding out for absolutely all the information--especially when delivering bad news. By then it will be too late. Someone is going to fill the communication vacuum with their messaging instead of yours, and you'll be on the defensive.
David Grossman is CEO of The Grossman Group, a strategic leadership development and internal communication consultancy.
Read more about cio role in CIO's CIO Role Drilldown.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.