IDG News Service - Name: Michael Milligan
Time with company: Started in December 2007
Education: University of Notre Dame with a B.B.A. and also earned a Masters in Accountancy from Notre Dame
Company headquarters: Bethany, Oklahoma
Revenue: About $25 million for next fiscal year
Number of employees total: 475
Number of employees the CFO oversees: 15 directly; indirectly 250
CFO's areas of responsibility: finance, budgeting, some HR... numerous other duties
About the company: The Children's Center is a private, nonprofit pediatric hospital serving children with complex medical and physical disabilities.
1. Where did you start in finance and what experiences led you to the job you have today?
I started in public accounting and did that for two years, during which time I also obtained my CPA license. I audited several not-for-profit entities while I was working in public accounting and that sparked my interest in that field. I was called out for a tour of The Children's Center and came out to see it and fell in love with the place and have been here ever since.
2. Who was an influential boss for you and what lessons did they teach you about management and leadership?
Both Albert Gray and Carol Gray -- Albert is the CEO and Carol is the COO of The Children's Center. A lot of what they have taught me I had to learn because I had never been in a management position before and I was hesitant to take this job because of that.
One thing they taught me is what we call 'justa'. There are no just a's here -- everyone is important to the operation of the facility and everyone should be treated that way -- laundry, housekeeping, nutrition as well as nursing and the medical staff. Everyone matters.
They also taught me to be very hands-on in my management style and to jump in where help is needed, and also to be flexible. You might come in one day thinking you're going to do one thing but then everything can change. In a hospital, things come up quickly so you have to be flexible enough to change your schedule when needed.
3. What are the biggest challenges facing CFOs today?
Being in the health-care sector, you're trying to provide the highest quality of care in the most cost-effective manner. That's becoming more and more difficult because the reimbursements you receive from Medicare or Medicaid, and also from insurance companies, are not keeping pace with medical costs. So that's a big piece.
The other part is the implementation of electronic-health records. That's a big one because some of your reimbursement from the federal government is tied to that.
- 20 Best iPhone/iPad Games of 2013
- Google Chromebook Buyer's Guide
- 10 Signs You're Probably a Techie
- 8 Things Kindle Fire HDX Does That iPad Air Can't
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
Visiting hours are over at the hospital where this pilot fish's wife is a patient, so it's time for him to go -- but only if the building automation lets him.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- The Telemedicine Revolution: Patients Can't Wait
- How high bandwidth, low latency ethernet communications is changing the practice of medicine. Comcast Ethernet offers the robust, scalable backbone for telemedicine for...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Escape Plan: How Integrated IT Portfolio Management Helps Organizations Clear the Chaos
- Meaningful Use, ICD-10 compliance, EMR Implementation--do you feel lost in this ever-growing jungle? All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Tame the data explosion with IBM Real-time Compression Learn about IBM's unique Real-time Compression technology that can enable storing up to 5x as much data in the same storage space.
- IT Transformation: Making the Move to Services IT transformation is happening in businesses of all sizes
- How SIEM Addresses the Challenges of Big Security Data This webcast will help you understand today's big data security challenges and how intelligent and scalable SIEM solutions give IT the tools and...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 In Action Designed for business leaders, IT decision-makers and IT administrators, this webcast features organizations that have migrated to BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 - or...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Implementation Solutions - BlackBerry Technical Services to Make your Deployment Fast, Effective and Robust Find out how BlackBerry® implementation and migration services can help you optimize your Enterprise Mobility Management infrastructure and ease your transition to BlackBerry®...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts