IDG News Service - Name: Michael Milligan
Time with company: Started in December 2007
Education: University of Notre Dame with a B.B.A. and also earned a Masters in Accountancy from Notre Dame
Company headquarters: Bethany, Oklahoma
Revenue: About $25 million for next fiscal year
Number of employees total: 475
Number of employees the CFO oversees: 15 directly; indirectly 250
CFO's areas of responsibility: finance, budgeting, some HR... numerous other duties
About the company: The Children's Center is a private, nonprofit pediatric hospital serving children with complex medical and physical disabilities.
1. Where did you start in finance and what experiences led you to the job you have today?
I started in public accounting and did that for two years, during which time I also obtained my CPA license. I audited several not-for-profit entities while I was working in public accounting and that sparked my interest in that field. I was called out for a tour of The Children's Center and came out to see it and fell in love with the place and have been here ever since.
2. Who was an influential boss for you and what lessons did they teach you about management and leadership?
Both Albert Gray and Carol Gray -- Albert is the CEO and Carol is the COO of The Children's Center. A lot of what they have taught me I had to learn because I had never been in a management position before and I was hesitant to take this job because of that.
One thing they taught me is what we call 'justa'. There are no just a's here -- everyone is important to the operation of the facility and everyone should be treated that way -- laundry, housekeeping, nutrition as well as nursing and the medical staff. Everyone matters.
They also taught me to be very hands-on in my management style and to jump in where help is needed, and also to be flexible. You might come in one day thinking you're going to do one thing but then everything can change. In a hospital, things come up quickly so you have to be flexible enough to change your schedule when needed.
3. What are the biggest challenges facing CFOs today?
Being in the health-care sector, you're trying to provide the highest quality of care in the most cost-effective manner. That's becoming more and more difficult because the reimbursements you receive from Medicare or Medicaid, and also from insurance companies, are not keeping pace with medical costs. So that's a big piece.
The other part is the implementation of electronic-health records. That's a big one because some of your reimbursement from the federal government is tied to that.
- 10 Hot Big Data Startups to Watch
- 11 Unique Uses for Google Glass, Demonstrated by Celebs
- How to Export Your Google Reader Account
- How to Better Engage Millennials (and Why They Aren't Really so Different)
- Telltale signs of ATM skimming
- 20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones
- Big screen con artists: 7 great movies about social engineering
With the promise of big data (solving the unsolvable problems, informing better decision making, creating new products and services, discovering patterns and acting on them, etc.) on the horizon, what has really changed? Does this mean that everything we know and do with not-so-big data should be tossed?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Case Study: Hospital Turns to Email Archiving Solution to Ensure Regulatory Compliances
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email archiving solution enabled the hospital to meet government mandates and helps avoid thousands...
- Case Study: In-the-Cloud Email Service Replaces Three Point Products
- Read this case study for more information on a comprehensive in-the-cloud email service to help replace three point products.
- Case Study: Simplifying the Transition to Exchange 2010 with Email Management Solutions
- Read this case study to learn how a cloud-based email management solution greatly simplified the company's transition to Exchange 2010.
- Intelligent Systems: A Prescription for Health Care Transformation
- Facing an onslaught of regulatory changes and market pressures, health care providers are grappling with how to transform existing services as part of...
- ESG Lab Validation of QLogic's Caching SAN Adapter
- ESG details the results of their testing of QLogic's new 10000 Series 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter with a focus on scalable database performance... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Virtustream (Vayence) video taking a 3000-Seat SAP Environment to the Cloud
- How can public cloud services help your organization reduce costs and increase security for your mission
- Williams & Fudge on Transforming IT with EMC
- Watch Williams & Fudge Data Center Director Phillip Reynolds discuss why this accounts receivable management firm turned to EMC.
- The Success Network: Driving Business Forward
- The communications and connectivity infrastructure of your organization is the focus of this KnowledgeVault Exchange, sponsored by Comcast Business.
- Advanced Voice Solutions for Your Business
- How can hosted business class voice services help mid-sized business be more agile, competitive and ready for growth? All Healthcare IT Webcasts