Wall Street Beat: Economic uncertainty continues to plague tech
Chances appear higher for a recession that could put a damper on purchases for IT
IDG News Service - Is tech heading into another downturn? Market watchers see signs of hope for the end of the year but they are hedging their bets.
The risk of a tech downturn following a widening recession in Europe andA slower economic growth in the U.S. and Asia have risen to around 30 percent, from about 20 percent a few months ago, according to Andrew Bartels, chief economist at Forrester Research.
While Bartels still has what he calls a moderately positive outlook for IT, he said in an interview Friday that he most likely will cut his forecast for tech purchases when Forrester issues its revised forecast next month.
Bartels thinks that a downward revision for U.S. purchases of technology, from 7 percent growth to about 5.5 percent or 6 percent, is called for. Taking Asia and Europe into account, a 1 percent downward revision for global tech purchases, to a growth rate of about 5 percent or 6 percent, will likely be in order. In its January forecast Forrester said that on a global basis, IT purchases will be US$2.1 trillion in 2012.
Meanwhile, tech investor confidence in U.S. IT companies is slipping. Despite a 0.62 percent uptick in the Nasdaq Computer Index as well as gains in the Dow Jones Industrials and Standard and Poor's indexes Friday afternoon, share prices of computer companies listed on the Nasdaq are about 10 percent lower in aggregate than they were two months ago.
"Investors are nervous," wrote Canaccord Genuity analyst Richard Davis in a research note Friday. "The weakness in the market has decisively shifted investors' gaze from 'how high is up' to 'how low can it go?' "
In an earlier note, Davis said "Sadly, the sub-10% probability of a wipeout in Europe that pulls the world economy back into recession is now closer to 25%."
U.S. President Barack Obama held a press conference Friday to address the European economic crisis, explaining why it matters to American companies. "This matters to us because Europe is our largest trading partner," Obama said. "If Europe goes into a recession that means we're selling fewer goods and fewer services."
In the U.S., economic indicators have been confusing. Thursday the U.S. Labor Department reported that new requests for jobless benefits fell last week for the first time in over a month. But late last week the Labor Department said that in May the unemployment rate edged up by a 0.1 percentage point to 8.2 percent.
The mixed news has sparked cuts in forecasts for tech vendor revenue. The forecast for IBM revenue this year was cut from $109.1 billion to $108 billion by Sterne AgeeA analyst Shaw Wu this week. "Our recent supply chain and industry checks indicate Europe, not surprisingly, is weakening due to greater uncertainty," he said.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts