- View the full 2012 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA scores a three-peat
- Slideshow: Employee perks at USAA
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 33,000 IT workers have their say
- Opinion: Invest in your IT talent; it's the key to retention
- Opinion: Build the IT community at large to attract talent
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: CareerBuilder sets projects on the fast track
The No. 2-ranked company on our 2012 Best Places to Work in IT list rewards innovation in a fast-paced but fun work environment.
Computerworld - How do you hold on to IT talent when you're in the business of helping people find better jobs? Chicago-based CareerBuilder could face that problem. But employees like Sabrina Pickeral, chief engineer for corporate applications, say there's no need to look elsewhere when you have a clear career path, opportunities to further your education and strong rewards for performance.
Pickeral is taking advantage of tuition reimbursements of up to $10,000 a year while she works on a bachelor's degree. And she recently won a "Hack Day" competition, where IT employees are encouraged to come up with an innovation. Pickeral's idea, a tool to help salespeople quickly gather data on prospective companies, won $10,000. IT staff can earn up to 20% of their salaries in bonuses, and performers in the top 10% are invited to all-expenses-paid trips to places like Hawaii and Aruba.
CareerBuilder breaks jobs down into levels, each with clearly defined responsibilities and metrics for moving to the next level. Incremental promotions are common: 30% of IT employees were promoted last year.
The IT environment, while busy, is "relaxed and fun," Pickeral says. Projects move quickly, rolled out in stages every three or four weeks, adds Roger Fugett, senior vice president of IT. "There's nothing tech employees hate more than working on something and never seeing it in production," he says. "Here you see the impact on the company every day."
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts