- View the full 2012 special report
- View and sort the top 100 employers
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA scores a three-peat
- Slideshow: Employee perks at USAA
- Employer scorecard: Tops for training, benefits, more
- Employee scorecard: 33,000 IT workers have their say
- Opinion: Invest in your IT talent; it's the key to retention
- Opinion: Build the IT community at large to attract talent
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
Best Places spotlight: CareerBuilder sets projects on the fast track
The No. 2-ranked company on our 2012 Best Places to Work in IT list rewards innovation in a fast-paced but fun work environment.
Computerworld - How do you hold on to IT talent when you're in the business of helping people find better jobs? Chicago-based CareerBuilder could face that problem. But employees like Sabrina Pickeral, chief engineer for corporate applications, say there's no need to look elsewhere when you have a clear career path, opportunities to further your education and strong rewards for performance.
Pickeral is taking advantage of tuition reimbursements of up to $10,000 a year while she works on a bachelor's degree. And she recently won a "Hack Day" competition, where IT employees are encouraged to come up with an innovation. Pickeral's idea, a tool to help salespeople quickly gather data on prospective companies, won $10,000. IT staff can earn up to 20% of their salaries in bonuses, and performers in the top 10% are invited to all-expenses-paid trips to places like Hawaii and Aruba.
CareerBuilder breaks jobs down into levels, each with clearly defined responsibilities and metrics for moving to the next level. Incremental promotions are common: 30% of IT employees were promoted last year.
The IT environment, while busy, is "relaxed and fun," Pickeral says. Projects move quickly, rolled out in stages every three or four weeks, adds Roger Fugett, senior vice president of IT. "There's nothing tech employees hate more than working on something and never seeing it in production," he says. "Here you see the impact on the company every day."
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts