Server sales continue to slow in EMEA region, says IDC
HP regained the top spot and Linux sales grew, but gloom prevails
IDG News Service - Revenue from server sales declined by about 12% year-on-year in Europe, the Middle East and Africa during the first quarter of 2012, as vendors continue to suffer from a slowdown in server spending, according to market research company IDC.
This was the second consecutive quarter of annual revenue declines, and the first double-digit decrease since the third quarter of 2009. Difficult market conditions compounded the current slowdown in server spending, IDC said.
Revenue totalled $3.1 billion, compared to $3.5 billion during the first quarter last year.
Shipments were down 3.8% and ended up at 556,877 units.
HP recovered the top spot from IBM with 38.2% of the market, even though its sales dropped by 19.1%.
IBM didn't do much better with a 17.8% sales decline, and its market share was 26.3%.
Third-placed Dell on the other hand saw its sales grow by 6.3%. The vendor is benefiting from strong demand for high-end x86 servers, according to IDC.
The company had a 14% share of the market, which is up from 11.6% during the same period last year.
Rounding out the top five are Oracle and Fujitsu, which saw sales decline by 6.2% and 7.4%, respectively.
Oracle grew its market share slightly, by about half a percentage point to 7.2%, despite the annual revenue decline, IDC said.
Fujitsu grew its market share by 0.2 percentage points to 5.8%.
By operating system, Windows held 52% of the market, down 0.6% compared to the first quarter in 2011.
Linux was the only operating system to see positive growth year-on-year. It grabbed 20.7% of total market sales, which is a 6.5% improvement.
Unix sales declined 27.6% on the back of weaker RISC system sales, which was enough to get a 17.4% market share.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!