Dating site eHarmony confirms password breach
Password hashes for eHarmony were released on the same Russian forum which published the LinkedIn hashes
IDG News Service - The online dating site eHarmony confirmed late Wednesday that passwords for its members were exposed in a breach, a second major compromise following LinkedIn's password exposure.
"After investigating reports of compromised passwords, we have found that a small fraction of our user base has been affected," wrote Becky Teraoka, of eHarmony's corporate communications.
EHarmony didn't say how many of its users may have been affected. The website said it had reset the passwords.
As with LinkedIn, eHarmony's exposed data is cryptographic representations of passwords called hashes, which are generated by an algorithm. But the hashes can be converted into the original password using free decoding software. The shorter the password, the higher the chance it can quickly be cracked.
EHarmony's 1.5 million password hashes were released in a forum of a Russian password-cracking website called InsidePro, reported Ars Technica.
Hackers on InsirePro asked for help cracking the password hashes, Ars reported. But by late Wednesday, those threads on the forum appeared to have been deleted and were not available in Google's cache.
LinkedIn confirmed on Wednesday that some of its passwords were compromised. Security researchers put the figure at 6.5 million, although some of the password hashes were duplicates, bringing the number down to around 5.8 million.
LinkedIn, which has not said how the breach occurred, is notifying people affected and resetting their passwords.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts