Standard Life CFO on how she made it to top finance role
Jackie Hunt, chief financial officer of Standard Life
IDG News Service - Few people will tell you frankly -- and many would struggle to even acknowledge - their regrets, weaknesses or strengths, especially those sitting on the executive boards of the UK's top companies. But then Jackie Hunt, chief financial officer of FTSE 100 insurer Standard Life, is an exception in many senses.
One of her professional regrets she candidly tells CFO World is that she never gained experience outside the finance function. For a women who is one of only nine female CFOs in the FTSE 100 it's hard to reconcile that a lack of a stint in operations or marketing has held her back, but she so firmly believes in the experience that it forms a critical part of the company's talent development programme for finance staff launched 18 months ago.
"I didn't go it and regret it. I actively transfer people out of finance and second them," Hunt says.
Her resolve on this point is explicit. One of the failings she recognises in those in finance is their distance from customers. As a business that prides itself on customer service and staff development Hunt says it's vital for Standard Life to ensure finance teams gain some experience in customer-facing functions.
"It's so easy for the finance function to never come into contact with customers," she says.
Another reason for encouraging secondments outside of the finance department is to broaden individual's horizons not just professionally but personally as well. "Finance people are genuinely nice people but the flip side of that is that they don't like confrontation." Again, Hunt doesn't strike you as someone who's afraid of confrontation.
As a foreigner on these shores -- she's South African -- the finance chief also promotes the benefits of overseas experience and actively encourages a foreign secondment among her 1,300-strong global finance team. And the earlier the better she says.
"We encourage people to get experiences in new markets and new geographies early in their career. It's important to learn cultural sensitivities and self-awareness. And an ability to realise that there are other points of view.
"We say early for pragmatic reasons because as people get older their work life balance is more difficult and they have more commitments," she adds.
As for her strengths, she is happy to promote them and urges women to do the same. Explaining the lack of female CFOs among FTSE companies, Hunt says it's down to her willingness to take risks where others may have been more cautious. And her decision to highlight her strengths -- something she learnt the value of early in her career.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
China says to Chiang Kai-shek all Bitcoins at the door.
China marches long and hard over internal financial institutions, proclaiming that Bitcoins "should not and cannot be used as a currency". The news sent Bitcoin exchanges into a dive like cormorants in the deep China Sea. But all is not lost -- or is it? Bitcoins have been bubbling back to the surface, or has China's stance drained all enthusiasm? In IT Blogwatch, fearless leaders and bloggers quote pearls of wisdom from the little red book of Bitcoin. Not to mention: Financial advice from Whiz and Ice...
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time
- This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price
- In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Hedge Your Bets
- This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- In the Firing Line
- CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The CISO's Guide To Virtualization Security
- This guide describes the security challenges within virtualized environments and shows how to apply the concepts of Forrester's Zero Trust Model of information... All Financial IT White Papers
- Live Webcast Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Live Webcast The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Live Webcast The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- HR and Finance Were made for Each Other View now >>
- The Value of Human Capital for Finance Professionals View now >>
- The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- All Financial IT Webcasts
Computerworld's Best Places to Work in IT 2013 list featured Quicken Loans, Securian, Vanguard and other top finance organizations. Honorees say the distinction helps them recruit top talent and boost staff morale.
Want to join this elite group? Nominate your organization for our 2014 list.