Samsung shows off Windows 8 tablets, convertible laptop
Two Samsung tablets running Windows 8 are slated to arrive in markets this October.
IDG News Service - Samsung unveiled several new Windows devices on the opening day of Taipei's Computex show, including two tablets with attachable keyboards that are scheduled to arrive in markets in October.
The two tablets, called the Samsung Series 5 Hybrid PC and the Samsung Series 7 Hybrid PC, both run Windows 8 and feature 11.6 inch touchscreens. Samsung, however, said the tablets were still in the development stages, and offered few technical specs, only saying they would use Intel chips.
Battery life for the tablets will be around 7 hours. The Series 7 Hybrid will also pack more processing power, but its hardware design will be slightly thicker, compared with the Series 5 Hybrid, Samsung said.
Microsoft has yet to announce a release date for Windows 8. But analysts expect the new operating system to arrive near the end of this year. PC vendors Asus and Acer on Monday unveiled their own Windows 8 tablets, some which also feature attachable keyboards to make them into notebooks.
Along with the tablets, Samsung showed off a convertible laptop device with a touchscreen. The Samsung Notebook Series 5 Ultra Convertible is built with a 360-degree hinge, allowing the notebook to flip into a tablet.
The device uses an Intel Core i7 processor at 1.9GHz, and has about 6 to 7 hours of battery life. Samsung, however, said the device is only a concept at this point. The company also showed a similar device, called the Samsung Notebook Series 5 Ultra Touch, but this comes without the 360-degree hinge for its display.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts