Google acquires social media toolbar maker Meebo
Meebo's advertising-driven toolbar integrates with social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook
IDG News Service - Google has acquired Meebo, a company that makes a toolbar that aggregates content from websites as well as displaying advertisements, the company said on its blog on Monday.
Founded in 2005, Meebo's main product is a toolbar that sits at the bottom of a publisher's website. It lets publishers display pop-up messages to users, integrates social media sites including Twitter and Facebook and offers a slot for advertising on the left-hand side.
Publishers get revenue from the advertising. Meebo positions its toolbar to consumers as a way to receive personalized content if people elect to create a Meebo profile.
Meebo also has a web-based instant messaging application that allows people to access third-party applications such as AOL's instant messenger, Yahoo, Google's Talk and others.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts