Computerworld - SAP has agreed to purchase cloud-based e-commerce vendor Ariba for $4.3 billion.
The deal has been unanimously approved by Ariba's board and is expected to close by Sept. 30.
The addition of Ariba's business-to-business commerce platform will expand SAP's cloud software lineup, which got an earlier boost from the ERP vendor's recent $3.4 billion acquisition of SuccessFactors, a provider of human resources services.
SAP's cloud computing strategy is aimed at enabling the company to compete against traditional rivals such as Oracle, as well as pure cloud vendors like Workday and NetSuite.
Ariba reported $444 million in 2011 revenue and said its trading network is involved with more than $319 billion in "commerce transactions, collaborations, and intelligence among more than 730,000 companies," according to a statement.
SAP said it will consolidate all "cloud-related supplier assets" under the auspices of Ariba, which will operate as an independent subsidiary.
The company plans to keep Ariba's platform open, allowing it to accept data from "any source," according to SAP co-CEO Bill McDermott. SAP also plans to use the platform it bought last year from Crossgate, which has some of the same features as Ariba's.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts