Ellison: Next version of Oracle database set for December or January release
It will be the first product Oracle won't port to Itanium chips, according to Ellison
IDG News Service - The next version of Oracle's database will be released in either December or January, CEO Larry Ellison said Wednesday during an onstage interview at the AllThingsD conference.
Ellison let the news slip in the context of discussing the ongoing lawsuit between Oracle and Hewlett-Packard over Oracle's decision to stop porting new versions of its software to Intel's Itanium chips, which are used in some HP servers.
"The first thing that we won't port onto Itanium comes out next year," Ellison said. "And that's the latest version of our database, which comes out in either December of this year or January of next year."
Ellison didn't provide any further details of the upcoming database release, which will supersede the current 11g Release 2, which debuted in September 2009.
The next edition may be called 12c, with the c referring to "cloud." Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, which was released in October, used that naming convention.
Oracle has placed a strong emphasis on its cloud computing strategy of late. Ellison is expected to make some major cloud-related product announcements during an event next week.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts