Ellison: Next version of Oracle database set for December or January release
It will be the first product Oracle won't port to Itanium chips, according to Ellison
IDG News Service - The next version of Oracle's database will be released in either December or January, CEO Larry Ellison said Wednesday during an onstage interview at the AllThingsD conference.
Ellison let the news slip in the context of discussing the ongoing lawsuit between Oracle and Hewlett-Packard over Oracle's decision to stop porting new versions of its software to Intel's Itanium chips, which are used in some HP servers.
"The first thing that we won't port onto Itanium comes out next year," Ellison said. "And that's the latest version of our database, which comes out in either December of this year or January of next year."
Ellison didn't provide any further details of the upcoming database release, which will supersede the current 11g Release 2, which debuted in September 2009.
The next edition may be called 12c, with the c referring to "cloud." Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, which was released in October, used that naming convention.
Oracle has placed a strong emphasis on its cloud computing strategy of late. Ellison is expected to make some major cloud-related product announcements during an event next week.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts