Ellison: Next version of Oracle database set for December or January release
It will be the first product Oracle won't port to Itanium chips, according to Ellison
IDG News Service - The next version of Oracle's database will be released in either December or January, CEO Larry Ellison said Wednesday during an onstage interview at the AllThingsD conference.
Ellison let the news slip in the context of discussing the ongoing lawsuit between Oracle and Hewlett-Packard over Oracle's decision to stop porting new versions of its software to Intel's Itanium chips, which are used in some HP servers.
"The first thing that we won't port onto Itanium comes out next year," Ellison said. "And that's the latest version of our database, which comes out in either December of this year or January of next year."
Ellison didn't provide any further details of the upcoming database release, which will supersede the current 11g Release 2, which debuted in September 2009.
The next edition may be called 12c, with the c referring to "cloud." Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, which was released in October, used that naming convention.
Oracle has placed a strong emphasis on its cloud computing strategy of late. Ellison is expected to make some major cloud-related product announcements during an event next week.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts