Microsoft adds photo sharing to SkyDrive
SkyDrive's file capacity jumps from 150K to 10 million
Computerworld - Microsoft has made several tweaks to its online cloud storage service, SkyDrive, one of which now allows users to access the Photo application in Windows 8 and fetch images stored on any PC with SkyDrive installed.
Updates for SkyDrive for Windows will be rolled out automatically in the Windows 8 Release Preview, which is expected to be available as early as today.
The new photo-sharing feature allows users to view images in the Windows 8 Photos app from any other computer with SkyDrive installed, no matter "how many terabytes of photos you have stored on the PC you are accessing."
In a blog, Mike Torres, Microsoft's group program manager for SkyDrive, said the company also increased the limit on the total number of files that can be stored in a SkyDrive folder from 150,000 to 10 million.
"This should unblock some power users from easily adding lots of files to their SkyDrive folder," Torres wrote.
Last month, Microsoft released a preview of an OS X SkyDrive client that added Macs to the list of devices natively supported by its cloud storage service. That list also includes iOS and Windows Phone devices.
Microsoft is pitching SkyDrive as a better alternative for users of Apple's iCloud storage service.
Torres said the SkyDrive folder should also now update more quickly and reliably when changes are made on other devices, including SkyDrive.com.
"We made lots of smaller bug fixes to improve overall reliability," he wrote. "Our primary goal throughout this preview period for our desktop apps is to really nail the fundamentals. This means we want the synchronization process to be fast and dependable, and for your SkyDrive folder to 'just work,' so that it simply feels like magic."
User feedback also led Microsoft to tweak SkyDrive for OS X Lion so that it will will no longer show up as an app icon in the dock when running. Users said it just wasn't necessary.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
- Amazon hiring 'top secret' IT staff as it fights for CIA work
- Empire state ends IT empire building
- No, your data isn't secure in the cloud
- Snowden revelations may cost U.S. cloud providers billions, says study
- DHS shifting to cloud, agile development to boost homeland security
- Cloud computing's big debt to NASA
- Coke bottler picks SaaS over SAP
- Inmate data paroled from mainframe
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts