Lenovo ships $349 IdeaTab S2109 tablet with Android 4.0
The tablet has a 9.7-in. screen and is priced at $349
IDG News Service - Lenovo on Wednesday finally shipped the IdeaTab S2109 tablet after months of teasers, calling the $349 tablet one of the lightest in the market with a 9.7-in. screen.
The tablet weighs 576 grams and measures just 0.83 centimeters thick, Lenovo said in a statement. It is the first tablet that the company is shipping in the U.S. that includes Google's latest Android 4.0 OS.
The tablet is for entertainment, Lenovo said. It can play 720p high-definition video on its screen, but can play 1080p video on TVs connected via the HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) port. The tablet has a dual-core Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 chip with a clock-speed of 1GHz.
The S2109 will compete with tablets optimized for entertainment content and applications such as Apple's iPad and Asus' Transformer Pad 300 (TF300), which has a quad-core chip and is priced starting at $379. General-purpose tablets with dual-core processors under $400 that ship today are largely capable of handling 1080p video, but have lower resolution screens.
The S2109 offers 10 hours of battery life when used for video or web browsing, Lenovo said. The device has 1GB of RAM and up to 32GB storage. Storage can be expanded via micro-USB and micro-SD card slots.
The device also has a 1.3-megapixel webcam. Users will also get access to app stores from Lenovo and Google.
The tablet is available in the U.S., but the company did not respond to request for comment on worldwide availability.
Lenovo offers a range of tablets that includes the IdeaPad and ThinkPad tablets. The models came with earlier versions of Android but Lenovo has promised over-the-air upgrades to Android 4.0.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!