Lenovo ships $349 IdeaTab S2109 tablet with Android 4.0
The tablet has a 9.7-in. screen and is priced at $349
IDG News Service - Lenovo on Wednesday finally shipped the IdeaTab S2109 tablet after months of teasers, calling the $349 tablet one of the lightest in the market with a 9.7-in. screen.
The tablet weighs 576 grams and measures just 0.83 centimeters thick, Lenovo said in a statement. It is the first tablet that the company is shipping in the U.S. that includes Google's latest Android 4.0 OS.
The tablet is for entertainment, Lenovo said. It can play 720p high-definition video on its screen, but can play 1080p video on TVs connected via the HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) port. The tablet has a dual-core Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 chip with a clock-speed of 1GHz.
The S2109 will compete with tablets optimized for entertainment content and applications such as Apple's iPad and Asus' Transformer Pad 300 (TF300), which has a quad-core chip and is priced starting at $379. General-purpose tablets with dual-core processors under $400 that ship today are largely capable of handling 1080p video, but have lower resolution screens.
The S2109 offers 10 hours of battery life when used for video or web browsing, Lenovo said. The device has 1GB of RAM and up to 32GB storage. Storage can be expanded via micro-USB and micro-SD card slots.
The device also has a 1.3-megapixel webcam. Users will also get access to app stores from Lenovo and Google.
The tablet is available in the U.S., but the company did not respond to request for comment on worldwide availability.
Lenovo offers a range of tablets that includes the IdeaPad and ThinkPad tablets. The models came with earlier versions of Android but Lenovo has promised over-the-air upgrades to Android 4.0.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts