Information of U.S. federal employees exposed
A computer run by service provider Serco was compromised in July last year
IDG News Service - A hack in July last year of a computer used by third-party services provider Serco to support the Thrift Savings Plan run by the U.S. Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board resulted in unauthorized access to the personal information of about 123,201 TSP participants and payees, FRTIB said Friday.
Serco and FRTIB were alerted in April by the Federal Bureau of Investigation that one of the computers used to service TSP had been the victim of unauthorized access. Besides shutting down the computer, FRTIB and Serco did forensic analysis to determine which people were affected, and enhanced the security, FRTIB and Serco said in separate statements. Serco confirmed that its computer had been affected.
Several files with different combinations of data of the individuals were accessed, FRTIB said.A The names, addresses, and Social Security numbers of about 43,000 individuals were in the accessed files.A In some cases, this group of data also included financial account numbers and routing numbers, it added.
Another group of about 80,000 people had their Social Security numbers and some TSP-related information accessed, but their name was not associated with the information, FRTIB said.
TSP is a retirement savings and investment plan for federal employees and members of the uniformed services, administered by the FRTIB.
"There is no evidence of any funds being diverted or identity theft resulting from the incident," Serco in Reston, Virginia, said. There was also no evidence that the TSP network, which supports the savings plan's 4.5 million participants, was the victim of an unauthorized access, it added.
The TSP does not have any evidence that any personal information has been used or is being misused or disclosed to other persons, FRTIB said.
FRTIB said it is sending notification letters to affected persons, providing them information on how to contact a call center set up to provide support and services such as credit montoring. Alerts will be placed on the affected TSP accounts to monitor activity as an added precaution. It has already sent notification letters on Friday to all those whose personal information was on the files.
The FRTIB has hired risk consulting company Kroll to provide its ID TheftSmart service for one year to the affected individuals.
FRTIB and Serco executives expressed regret for the incident in separate statements.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts