iPhone, Android account for 82% of smartphones shipped
BlackBerry decline continues through first quarter, IDC says
Computerworld - Android and iPhone devices together made up 82% of all smartphones shipped to retailers in the first quarter of 2012, IDC said Thursday.
The combined worldwide shipments of Android- and Apple iOS-based devices dwarfs those of other smartphone operating systems, including Research in Motion's BlackBerry, a traditional frontrunner now on a "downward trajectory," IDC said in a statement.
Gartner on May 16 had said that Android and iPhone smartphones accounted for nearly 79% of all smartphones shipped in the first quarter, slightly below.
Smartphones shipped to retailers are expected to be sold, especially the popular Android and iPhone models.
Android phones made by various manufacturers accounted for 59% of first quarter shipments, or 152.3 million devices, while iOS-based iPhones accounted for 23%, IDC said.
IDC analyst Kevin Restivo said smartphone OS laggards like BlackBerry and Windows Phone need to win greater loyalty from app developers to grow market share. "Developer intentions of enthusiasm for a particular operating system is typically a leading indicator of hardware sales success," he said in a statement.
IDC said Samsung accounted for 45.4% of all Android-based smartphone shipments in the first quarter, which topped the pack.
The Symbian OS held a 6.8% of the share of shipments in the quarter, down 60% from the first quarter of 2011, as a result of Nokia's move to Windows Phone.
BlackBerry's share of shipments was just 6.4%, a 30% decline from the first quarter of 2011.
Windows Phone and Windows Mobile OS's had a 2.2% share of first quarter shipments, up 27% from the first quarter of 2011, IDC said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!