|Organization||Project Name||Project Achievements|
|Fujitsu Ltd.||Winner: Great East Japan Earthquake Response Program||The company supplies various resources, including free cloud services, communication applications, PCs and volunteers, to help workers, customers and residents affected by the massive March 2011 earthquake in Japan. Read more...|
|Chicago Department of Transportation||Finalist: Chicago Traffic Tracker||Application built on open-source software and GPS feeds from transit buses, municipal vehicles and taxi cabs details traffic conditions on Chicago streets in real time, allowing drivers to plan the best travel routes and helping to reduce congestion|
|Reaction Design||Finalist: Model Fuels Consortium||Initiative that brought together automotive manufacturers and energy producers creates and validates the accurate fuel emission models needed to more rapidly develop environmentally responsible engines|
|Schneider Electric||Finalist: Schneider Electric Bip-Bop Program||Energy program aims to bring clean, affordable electricity to marginalized people and communities worldwide by providing cost-effective equipment, funding for innovative entrepreneurs, and technical and business training to sustain energy investments|
|The Procter & Gamble Co.||Finalist: P&G's Global Asset Recovery Purchases (GARP)||Company uses a desktop application to extract and visualize data to help it reach its waste-reduction goals by recycling manufacturing waste and turning excess inventory into useful products|
|San Bernardino County Information Services Department, Application Development Division||Document Storage Goes Green||System that allows county workers to create documents as searchable PDF files and then electronically store them allows county to reduce the use of paper and printer toner, save on personnel time and costs, and create a greener work environment|
|Mojave Desert Ecosystem Program||Mojave Desert Ecosystem Program||Initiative uses hosted cloud servers, mobile applications and the Internet to collect and share GIS data and electronic reports from federal, state and local agencies working in the Mojave Desert region|
|Qingyan Fu and Qian Wang, Shanghai Environmental Monitoring Center; David Wong, Atmospheric Modeling and Analysis Division, U.S. EPA; and Prof. Joshua Fu, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Tennessee at Knoxville||Shanghai Air Quality Forecasting System||System uses air-quality data from around China to predict the concentration of pollutants expected in Shanghai within a 48-hour range, allowing sensitive groups, particularly the elderly and children, to act to protect themselves|
|Broadcom Corp.||Broadcom Energy Efficient Ethernet||Company's extensive Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) portfolio goes beyond industry standards to significantly reduce energy costs and CO2 emissions, delivering 70% power savings when the network is active and up to 95% during down/idle time|
|Tetra Tech||Water Management Webcast Series for EPA||Use of cloud-based webcasting software enables company to educate thousands on water management topics, remotely train individuals and archive broadcasts for future use|
|Delphix||Delphix Data Virtualization Platform||Several novel technologies form the basis of a platform allowing organizations to virtualize the information in their databases and archives, thereby reducing energy and hardware costs in large-scale data centers|
|JouleX||AMEC Enterprise IT Energy Reduction||AMEC's use of JouleX Energy Manager automates control of energy consumption across the IT enterprise so unused or idle devices attached to the network can be powered down to save energy|
|Sabre Airline Solutions||Sabre Advanced Flight Planning Solution Reduces Airline Fuel Consumption, Emissions and Delays||Flight planning application enables airlines to operate more efficiently and to reduce both fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by optimizing flight paths|
|Western Kentucky University||WKYU PBS LED Studio Lighting Project||Pioneering use of cutting-edge technology creates a new LED lighting system that is more flexible and adaptable yet has yielded a 97% reduction in electricity consumption|
|Knowledge Profits Inc.||Greater Vine City Opportunities Program, Inc.||Used technology to help capture $1.1 million in federal grants to establish the Global Green Technology Center, a "green" building aimed at providing technology resources and green job training in an economically and socially disadvantaged community in Atlanta|
|Vestas Wind Systems A/S||Vestas Virtualizes and Consolidates IT Management Software to Produce and Support More Wind Turbines for Green Energy Projects around the Globe||Server virtualization enables company to cut its own energy consumption and increase the number of wind turbine projects it supports, which in turn helps reduce the production of greenhouse gasses|
|U.S. General Services Administration||The A3 (Any Device, Anywhere, Anytime) Strategy||Fiberlink's MaaS360 cloud-based device management service enables the GSA to cut energy use by powering down idle workstations and infrastructure servers and by securely migrating workers to mobile devices, which increases telecommuting opportunities|
|OG&E (a unit of OGE Energy Corp.)||Positive Energy Smart Grid||A combination of technologies help customers automatically reduce their energy demand or shift demand to off-peak hours while also enabling the company to manage its energy system more holistically|
|Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)||WSSC Mobile||Mobile application allows customers to pay bills, report problems and share ideas on improving operations and results in increased customer awareness of water management issues|
|The California Independent System Operator Corp.||Managing Renewable Energy Sources with Situational Intelligence||Analytics tool enables California ISO to analyze data from multiple sources to optimize the use of renewable energy while also ensuring the stability and reliability of the electric grid|
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- eBook: An Executives' Guide: The Machine of the Future This eBook has been developed to help executives understand the value of M2M and IoT to enterprises. We will include a framework CEOs...
- Quantifying the Return on Investment: The Business Case for Machine-to-Machine Initiatives This paper uses real-world customer results and a set of key metrics to help executives and managers understand the return they should expect...
- Is There Still a Case for PMO? PMOs haven't always worked for all companies all of the time. Smart companies should review their PMO needs and activities through a PMO...
- Consequences of Poorly Performing Software Systems While performance issues are not always avoidable, their effects can be mitigated and often avoided by developing a keen understanding their causes and...
- How to Select the Right IoT Platform We are rapidly entering a world where almost everything will be connected to the cloud and managing these connected things and leveraging the...
- Integrated Infrastructure: Simplify Operations, Speed Deployments and Reduce Costs George Weiss, Gartner Vice President and Analyst, and Praveen Akkiraju, CEO of VCE, provide practical information regarding the various aspects of Integrated Infrastructures... All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts