|Organization||Project Name||Project Achievements|
|Trust for the Americas||Winner: Partnership in Opportunities for Employment through Technology in the Americas (POETA) Accessible||This program provides adaptive technology to centers that train disabled people in digital skills that prepare them for jobs in their local markets. Read more...|
|AMD Foundation||Finalist: AMD Changing the Game||Program encourages youth from diverse backgrounds in various countries to pursue studies in science, technology, engineering and math by providing the technology to create their own video games|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Finalist: MILLEE: Mobile and Immersive Learning for Literacy in Emerging Economies||English literacy lessons built into games played on affordable cellphones help poor children in the developing world acquire the English skills they need to better compete in the workforce as adults|
|Mooresville Graded School District||Finalist: The Mooresville "Digital Conversion" Program||Technology initiative increases access to and use of computers at underperforming schools and transforms the education environment, with students becoming more engaged and collaborative and significantly improving their scores on achievement assessments|
|SIVECO Romania||Finalist: Support for the Special Education System through Specialized Educational Portal||Portal gives special needs children access to a repository of high-quality educational resources that transforms education into a personal experience; program also trains more than 3,000 teachers on adopting information and communications technologies for classroom use|
|Amrita E-Learning Research Lab||Amrita Virtual Interactive E-Learning World||E-learning software connects students to all universities and colleges in India at no cost, with a particular focus on benefiting marginalized populations, such as migrants, the homeless, people with learning difficulties, the unemployed and low-income individuals|
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Management Information Systems Office||Winnable Battles Sortable Stats||Application aims to increase awareness about the prevalence and severity of chronic illnesses and other conditions linked to preventable health problems by showing trends in these categories at the national and state levels|
|Cisco Systems||Cisco Internship Training Program||Undergraduates undergo six months of technology training and mentoring, helping them improve their academic performance, develop their technical aptitude and cultivate workforce development skills|
|Institute of Interactive Arts and Engineering, University of Texas at Dallas||University of Texas System Virtual Pediatric Patient Project||Game-based simulation gives nursing students virtual clinical practice opportunities and allows them to make clinical decisions in the care of acutely ill pediatric patients, helping students become better, more experienced nurses|
|istation.com||iStation Reading Program||Program created to help address the learning deficit common among economically disadvantaged children uses a game-like multimedia environment to teach elementary school children and track their progress|
|Lone Star College System||Video-based Learning and Collaboration Network||Several enterprise video technologies transform teaching and learning by allowing faculty, staff and students to capture, share and store video content for viewing on any desktop or mobile device at any time|
|New York City Housing Authority||Training NYCHA residents in state of the art Information Technology skills||Housing authority and nonprofit Workforce Opportunity Services teamed up to design a training program in Siebel and Maximo software for selected public-housing residents to increase their career opportunities|
|Pace University||Intergenerational Computing||Specially trained undergraduate students instruct senior citizens on computer use and help secure equipment when needed; elders learn how to navigate new technology, while undergraduates learn about adaptive technologies and issues around aging|
|SIVECO Romania||eSchool Portal||Nationwide IT initiative provides the framework to provide interactive virtual science laboratories that provide a realistic, engaging, safe and cost-effective learning environment for high school students|
|SWC Technology Partners Inc.||Alain Locke Charter School Achieve Technology Project||Company's donation of hardware and services enables charter school serving underprivileged children to replace an outdated technology infrastructure with virtualized desktops, which simplifies maintenance, better supports integration with mobile devices and costs less money|
|Udacity||ai-class.com||Video lectures of open courses are combined with interactive quizzes to create personalized education experiences for students, who are more engaged in the learning process as a result|
|University of Illinois at Chicago||University of Illinois at Chicago demystifies financial aid with GoToWebinar||Live webinar delivers financial aid information to prospective students and their families who cannot attend in person, with recording of the webinar also available on the UIC website for on-demand viewing|
|University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center||Classroom Bluetooth Audio||Connecting audio from existing classroom infrastructure to students' Bluetooth receivers and hearing aids allows students with hearing problems to comfortably hear all classroom material|
|University of Southern Mississippi||University of Southern Mississippi Distance Learning and Collaboration Project (DLC)||Initiative allows faculty, staff members and, soon, school district teachers and their students to connect virtually on a new, streamlined video and audio technology system that records and stores content for future teaching purposes|
|Urban Ed Inc.||IT Help Desk Apprenticeship||Training program uses a blended learning approach that draws from traditional construction apprenticeship programs and combines associate-level technical education and corporate-level professional development to help low-income minorities excel in technology jobs|
Read more about IT Leadership in Computerworld's IT Leadership Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- eBook: An Executives' Guide: The Machine of the Future This eBook has been developed to help executives understand the value of M2M and IoT to enterprises. We will include a framework CEOs...
- Quantifying the Return on Investment: The Business Case for Machine-to-Machine Initiatives This paper uses real-world customer results and a set of key metrics to help executives and managers understand the return they should expect...
- Is There Still a Case for PMO? PMOs haven't always worked for all companies all of the time. Smart companies should review their PMO needs and activities through a PMO...
- Consequences of Poorly Performing Software Systems While performance issues are not always avoidable, their effects can be mitigated and often avoided by developing a keen understanding their causes and...
- How to Select the Right IoT Platform We are rapidly entering a world where almost everything will be connected to the cloud and managing these connected things and leveraging the...
- Integrated Infrastructure: Simplify Operations, Speed Deployments and Reduce Costs George Weiss, Gartner Vice President and Analyst, and Praveen Akkiraju, CEO of VCE, provide practical information regarding the various aspects of Integrated Infrastructures... All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts