Netsuite glad to help rival SAP with their ERP
Chief executive Zach Nelson claims he's doing great business with arch rival
Computerworld UK - Zach Nelson, chief executive at Netsuite, has publicly thanked rival SAP for renewing a cloud computing licence with his company, instead of using its own software.
Nelson told delegates at this week's SuiteWorld conference in San Francisco: "Many Fortune 500 companies also run Netsuite, but we're most pleased to say that SAP runs Netsuite. It has just renewed its licence.
"We're delighted to be able to help them run their operations."
Nelson later explained that he was referring to a $1 million deal at SAP acquisition SuccessFactors.
The claims prompted a swift response from SAP, which said that "in only six weeks" following its acquisition of SuccessFactors last year, it implemented SAP cloud systems including Business ByDesign across the new unit. However, it did not directly address whether or not it used Netsuite for some SuccessFactors operations.
Nelson insisted during a press briefing that "as a public company" Netsuite could not say it had signed such a contract if it had not done so. He added that Netsuite switched off its own instance of SuccessFactors, used for employee reviews, after SAP bought that company.
He added that he nevertheless recognised the popularity of SAP among businesses, and that many SAP-based companies were implementing Netsuite to enable faster ERP rollouts as they establish new business units.
"Many companies know they are always going to have SAP," he said, "but you see companies putting in Netsuite in their most pressing environments, where they want results and can't wait 36 months for SAP to show up and implement it."
Nelson has had combatitive words for SAP in the past - but these are perhaps unsurprising given that Netsuite is approximately half owned by Larry Ellison, chief executive at SAP's arch rival, Oracle.
Last December, Nelson claimed SAP was effectively forced to make a multibillion dollar entry into cloud computing with its SuccessFactors acquistion, because industry needs were changing and customers were tiring of multi-year on premise deployments.
"The acquisition of SuccessFactors doesn't solve SAP's core problem," he said. "No company runs its business on SuccessFactors - it's fine for HR stuff but it's not a management suite."
SAP said this week at its Sapphire conference in Orlando that it was "accelerating" its cloud strategy, announcing cloud solutions for different lines of business to manage people, money, customers and suppliers.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts