Yahoo's Genome highlights hosted big data analytics trend
Several companies have begun offering big data analytics as a service
Computerworld - Yahoo has joined a growing list of companies offering big data analytics as a service with its Genome offering this week.
Genome is a service designed to let companies deliver highly targeted online advertising and marketing campaigns. It will let advertisers quickly sift through and analyze terabytes of real-time web data collected from Yahoo's own networks and from those of partners such as Yahoo and AOL.
The service, scheduled to become available in July, will let advertisers mash up their own data with Yahoo's data and run analytics on the combined data set.
Such instant analysis of real-time big data sets is an emerging trend and something that many companies are moving towards. "It is illustrative of the desire by companies of all sizes to capture, synthesize, analyze and share timely information about user behavior," said Jeffrey Kaplan, managing director of ThinkStrategies. The goal: To drive better decision-making and new business opportunities, he said.
Genome is based on technology from interclick, a company that Yahoo acquired last December. At its core is a 20-terabyte in-memory database that pulls in and analyses real-time behavioral and advertising-related data from Yahoo's multi-petabyte scale Hadoop clusters.
The company is using a blend of proprietary technology and best-of-breed commercial products from vendors such as Netezza and Microstrategy to do the data analytics on the real-time data, said Michael Katz, CEO of interclick.
"Looking at it through the lens of the business, big data is not just about storing the data," Katz said. "It's about capturing data, putting it into the platform, updating it and propagating it out to the server to be able to do targeting against it in real-time. It's not a trivial task."
Genome is one of a growing number of services that offer companies a way to do sophisticated analytics with their big data without having to invest in a data analytics infrastructure of their own, or without having to worry about finding scarce data scientists to support the infrastructure
In Yahoo's case, the service is targeted specifically at online ad targeting. Others are broader in nature.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts