Yahoo's Genome highlights hosted big data analytics trend
Several companies have begun offering big data analytics as a service
Computerworld - Yahoo has joined a growing list of companies offering big data analytics as a service with its Genome offering this week.
Genome is a service designed to let companies deliver highly targeted online advertising and marketing campaigns. It will let advertisers quickly sift through and analyze terabytes of real-time web data collected from Yahoo's own networks and from those of partners such as Yahoo and AOL.
The service, scheduled to become available in July, will let advertisers mash up their own data with Yahoo's data and run analytics on the combined data set.
Such instant analysis of real-time big data sets is an emerging trend and something that many companies are moving towards. "It is illustrative of the desire by companies of all sizes to capture, synthesize, analyze and share timely information about user behavior," said Jeffrey Kaplan, managing director of ThinkStrategies. The goal: To drive better decision-making and new business opportunities, he said.
Genome is based on technology from interclick, a company that Yahoo acquired last December. At its core is a 20-terabyte in-memory database that pulls in and analyses real-time behavioral and advertising-related data from Yahoo's multi-petabyte scale Hadoop clusters.
The company is using a blend of proprietary technology and best-of-breed commercial products from vendors such as Netezza and Microstrategy to do the data analytics on the real-time data, said Michael Katz, CEO of interclick.
"Looking at it through the lens of the business, big data is not just about storing the data," Katz said. "It's about capturing data, putting it into the platform, updating it and propagating it out to the server to be able to do targeting against it in real-time. It's not a trivial task."
Genome is one of a growing number of services that offer companies a way to do sophisticated analytics with their big data without having to invest in a data analytics infrastructure of their own, or without having to worry about finding scarce data scientists to support the infrastructure
In Yahoo's case, the service is targeted specifically at online ad targeting. Others are broader in nature.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!