Facebook buys mobile e-commerce app Karma
The acquisition was announced just after the markets closed on Facebook's inaugural day as a public company
IDG News Service - The mobile gift-giving app Karma announced Friday it has been acquired by Facebook. The announcement came shortly after the markets closed on Facebook's first day as a publicly traded company.
Karma allows users to buy gifts from its catalogue from their mobile phones. Recipients receive a text message notifying them of the gift and directing them to a website where they can exchange it if they want to and enter their shipping address.
Karma, which launched in 2011, is already integrated with Facebook. Karma draws from Facebook profiles to notify users of friends' birthdays, for example. The app will retain its functions after the acquisition, according to a blog post from Karma's founders.
The move continues Facebook's push to enhance its mobile offerings, where it currently generates less revenue per user than it does on the desktop. The app's commerce features could suggest Facebook plans to expand in that area.
Ray Valdes, an analyst with Gartner, noted that Facebook has "a strong historical pattern" of buying companies to get access to their expertise.
"I would interpret [the move] as acquiring general talent, but also experience in a particular domain, which is in this case, mobile, commerce and social interaction," Valdes said.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts