IBM retirement plan promises jobs through 2013
Computerworld - IBM is offering employees who are nearing retirement, and who might be worried about layoffs, a one-time opportunity to participate in a program that would guarantee their employment through Dec. 31, 2013.
The program, called "Transition to Retirement," would cut workers' hours and pay. But employees would continue to receive certain benefits, including company contributions to their 401(k) accounts, until the guarantee's expiration date.
According to a letter addressed to IBM managers, the program "offers participants 70% of their pay for working 60% of their schedule." Employees enrolled in the program would be exempt from any "resource actions" -- meaning layoffs. In return, enrolled employees agree to retire on or before Dec. 31, 2013.
The letter was received by the Alliance@IBM/CWA Local 1701 union, which made it available. IBM confirmed the letter's contents.
At the end of 2011, IBM employed 433,236 people worldwide, up from 426,751 in 2010. In the U.S. specifically, IBM has been reducing its workforce; the most recent cutback occurred in February, according to the union. In 2006, IBM employed around 127,000 in the U.S.; now, that number is said to be around 95,000.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts