Apple victorious in iphone5.com domain dispute
Complaint Apple filed with U.N. agency over URL now settled
Computerworld - Apple has apparently won control of the iphone5.com domain, according to changes in a Web record of the URL.
Previously, Apple had filed a claim on iphone5.com with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a United Nations agency that arbitrates domain disputes in cases of "cybersquatting."
As late as last week, the URL directed visitors to a small-scale discussion forum devoted to smartphones.
WIPO records now show that the complaint has been "terminated," indicating that the case has been closed. The label is often used when parties have settled their dispute over a domain.
According to a WHOIS search, iphone5.com is now in the control of Corporation Service Company (CSC), a Delaware legal, business and financial firm that, among other things, offers domain protection and recovery services.
"CSC can help your company boost revenues and enhance its brand security by recovering misspelled and "cybersquatted" variants of your brand names from third-party infringers," the company's website stated.
It's unlikely that any other company but Apple would have been awarded custody of the domain by WIPO. CSC is likely acting on Apple's behalf.
iphone5.com no longer shows users the discussion forum, but instead results in a blank page.
The Next Web first reported the change in the WIPO claim record.
Some had speculated that the domain move might have been prompted by the constant use of the "iPhone 5" label by bloggers and the press to describe Apple's next smartphone.
Last fall, prior to the introduction of the iPhone 4S, almost everyone pegged the upcoming iteration as the iPhone 5. That tag has persisted this year, as talk of the 2012 version has heated up.
Apple is not expected to launch the next iPhone until this fall.
Apple has gone to WIPO numerous times to gain control of domains it believes infringe its trademarks. Last November, for instance, the company filed a claim -- ultimately successful -- to acquire iphone4s.com and seven other URLs, all with the "iphone" name.
iphone4s.com currently redirects browsers to Apple's iPhone page.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why HTC put Windows on its M8 smartphone
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Navdy's planned heads-up car display works with iPhone or Android
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales
- The other Apple economy: $2B in devices on eBay
- Apple sends users scrambling for OS X Yosemite
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts