Deep dive: Cloud applications
The path to launching a cloud service is not straightforward. Here's how to find services among existing applications, and get them ready
Infoworld - Thanks to the success of Amazon EC2, Salesforce, and other public cloud services, most enterprises understand the value of cloud computing, and an increasing number of enterprises are exploring the idea of getting into the cloud computing business. Why not? Launching a public cloud service may establish a new revenue stream -- or self-service convenience for customers -- with minimal additions to existing infrastructure.
But launching a cloud service can be a laborious process. Enterprise IT managers need to select which applications should be cloud enabled based on a stringent set of criteria. Moreover, they must establish or modify service interfaces or APIs and deal with new challenges in governance and security, including the ability to track usage for both billing and chargeback.
Are you ready for the cloud business? Which of your services is ripe to become a cloud service? How do you establish a compelling business case? How do you create successful cloud services, either simple or complex?
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts