Deep dive: Cloud applications
The path to launching a cloud service is not straightforward. Here's how to find services among existing applications, and get them ready
Infoworld - Thanks to the success of Amazon EC2, Salesforce, and other public cloud services, most enterprises understand the value of cloud computing, and an increasing number of enterprises are exploring the idea of getting into the cloud computing business. Why not? Launching a public cloud service may establish a new revenue stream -- or self-service convenience for customers -- with minimal additions to existing infrastructure.
But launching a cloud service can be a laborious process. Enterprise IT managers need to select which applications should be cloud enabled based on a stringent set of criteria. Moreover, they must establish or modify service interfaces or APIs and deal with new challenges in governance and security, including the ability to track usage for both billing and chargeback.
Are you ready for the cloud business? Which of your services is ripe to become a cloud service? How do you establish a compelling business case? How do you create successful cloud services, either simple or complex?
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!