Senate to look at Mozilla's browser competition allegations
Sen. Herb Kohl's office to examine Mozilla's complaint against Microsoft over browser API access in Windows RT
Computerworld - The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee will look into accusations by Mozilla that Microsoft is restricting access to important programming tools for browsers that will run in Windows RT, a political blog reported Friday.
The Hill cited unnamed aides to Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.), the chairman of the Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights, as the source for its report.
Last week, Mozilla, the maker of Firefox, said Microsoft was withholding access to APIs -- application programming interfaces -- that Mozilla considers crucial for building a browser that can compete with Microsoft's own Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) on ARM devices.
In a blog post last week, Harvey Anderson, Mozilla's chief counsel, raised the antitrust flag, saying that Microsoft's blocking of the APIs "seems to represent the very behavior the [Department of Justice]-Microsoft settlement sought to prohibit."
Microsoft is no longer under U.S. government scrutiny in the wake of the landmark 1998 antitrust case, but the eventual settlement required Microsoft to share its APIs with third-party vendors. Microsoft has repeatedly promised to continue that sharing.
In answer to follow-up questions Friday, however, Anderson seemed to back away from any legal recourse. "We think the most effective way to resolve this is through critical discussion and transparency of the issues rather than through legal action," he said.
Google has said it shares Mozilla's concern over the Windows RT browser situation.
Microsoft has declined to comment on Mozilla's accusations.
Kohl's office was unavailable for comment Sunday.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
- Apple kicks off public OS X beta testing
- Russian leaker resurfaces, claims Microsoft will issue second Windows update this year
- Windows' new normal shows software-as-a-service ambitions
- Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update migration deadline for business
- Microsoft puts the squeeze on Windows to shoehorn it into 16GB devices
- Google quashes 31 vulnerabilities, restores Metro mode 'steppers' with Chrome 34
- Microsoft drags customers 'kicking and screaming' into its world of faster updates
- Windows 8.1 Update deep-dive review: An OS that makes more sense
- Microsoft suspends Windows 8.1 Update release to businesses
- Windows 8.1 Update arrives today
Read more about Desktop Apps in Computerworld's Desktop Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Desktop Apps White Papers |