CIO - 1. Smaller Deals. A decade-long decline in the size of IT services contracts continues. While the number of mega-deals and midrange contracts awarded each year has remained fairly stable since 2002, the number of those worth $100 million or less has more than tripled, according to outsourcing consultancy Information Services Group (formerly TPI).
2. New Pricing Models. With continued pressure on their profit margins, outsourcing providers are considering more innovative--and often riskier--engagement models, including joint ventures, business-outcome-based pricing, revenue-sharing arrangements, and dedicated centers of excellence.
3. Multi-Sourcing Wranglers. CIOs have largely rejected broad, single-source deals in favor of a best-of-breed outsourcing model that uses a variety of specialty firms. But that doesn't mean they've figured out how to manage the multi-sourcing beast. Some IT organizations are hiring people to bring the necessary management skills in-house. But IT service providers are also setting themselves up as services integrators that will oversee multiple providers and manage end-to-end delivery. Time will tell how well this fox-watching-the-henhouse model plays out.
4. Increased Focus on Security. It's only a matter of time before a major IT service provider suffers a public security breach. Outsourcing companies are looking for new and better ways to protect data--their own and their customers'--says Mark Ruckman, an independent outsourcing consultant at Sanda Partners. In the meantime, security liability limits have become one of the most contentious negotiation issues between outsourcing customers and vendors today.
5. Cloudsourcing. The outsourcing deal pipeline is getting a boost from such next-generation delivery models as cloud offerings and remote infrastructure management, says consultancy Everest Group. Service providers are trying to address some of the technical and perception issues that have delayed widespread adoption of cloud services.
Read more about outsourcing in CIO's Outsourcing Drilldown.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts