HP expands cloud services beta
Organizations can test out HP's soon-to-be commercialized compute, storage and content delivery services
IDG News Service - Preparing for its entry into the market for IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service), Hewlett-Packard on Thursday launched a second beta program of cloud computing services it plans to offer commercially.
The company's HP Cloud Compute, HP Cloud Object Storage and HP Cloud Content Delivery Network services can now all be accessed by the public. All the services will be offered on an hourly pay-as-you-go model.
This beta program expands upon a smaller, free beta portfolio of cloud services offered by the company last September.
The company will be marketing these services for organizations that want to run large-scale Web services from the cloud. HP Cloud Compute offers virtual servers. HP Cloud Object Storage offers object-based storage, and the HP Cloud Content Delivery Network provides a globally distributed caching layer to speed the delivery of services.
For these services, HP has assembled an impressive roster of over 40 partners to offer individual technology components and complementary offerings. For instance, EnterpriseDB provides a version of the PostGres open source database. CloudBees provides a platform for running Java applications. Engine Yard provides a similar platform for Ruby on Rails and PHP. Spirent provides development tools and RightScale, ScaleXtreme and Smartscale Systems provide management tools.
The company also offers services for block-based storage and for hosting data on MySQL deployments, though those remain closed as private betas.
The company did not reveal when all these services would be available commercially.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!