HP expands cloud services beta
Organizations can test out HP's soon-to-be commercialized compute, storage and content delivery services
IDG News Service - Preparing for its entry into the market for IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service), Hewlett-Packard on Thursday launched a second beta program of cloud computing services it plans to offer commercially.
The company's HP Cloud Compute, HP Cloud Object Storage and HP Cloud Content Delivery Network services can now all be accessed by the public. All the services will be offered on an hourly pay-as-you-go model.
This beta program expands upon a smaller, free beta portfolio of cloud services offered by the company last September.
The company will be marketing these services for organizations that want to run large-scale Web services from the cloud. HP Cloud Compute offers virtual servers. HP Cloud Object Storage offers object-based storage, and the HP Cloud Content Delivery Network provides a globally distributed caching layer to speed the delivery of services.
For these services, HP has assembled an impressive roster of over 40 partners to offer individual technology components and complementary offerings. For instance, EnterpriseDB provides a version of the PostGres open source database. CloudBees provides a platform for running Java applications. Engine Yard provides a similar platform for Ruby on Rails and PHP. Spirent provides development tools and RightScale, ScaleXtreme and Smartscale Systems provide management tools.
The company also offers services for block-based storage and for hosting data on MySQL deployments, though those remain closed as private betas.
The company did not reveal when all these services would be available commercially.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts