Facebook App Center targets mobile users
App Center will display high-quality apps that use Facebook's authentication system
IDG News Service - Facebook said Wednesday that it will launch an App Center where users can browse "high-quality" mobile apps that integrate with the social-networking site.
The App Center will host apps that work on Android and Apple's iOS operating systems and the web. However, users will have to go to Google Play or the App Store to download the apps.
Eligible apps include websites and mobile apps that use Facebook's authentication system to offer users a personalized experience as well as those hosted on commercial Facebook pages.
Facebook said an app must clearly delineate between content and advertising and set clear expectations about what user activity it shares.
The move came on the same day that Facebook filed an amended S-1 form with the Securities and Exchange Commission that expanded the company's description of the risk posed to its revenue model by users' growing preference for mobile, rather than desktop, access.
The filing, which is required paperwork leading up to Facebook's initial public offering later this month, warned that its current failure to monetize mobile users posed a financial risk. The filing cited efforts to improve mobile apps as part of the company's strategy.
"If users increasingly access Facebook mobile products as a substitute for access through personal computers, and if we are unable to successfully implement monetization strategies for our mobile users, or if we incur excessive expenses in this effort, our financial performance and ability to grow revenue would be negatively affected," the filing said.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!