Facebook App Center targets mobile users
App Center will display high-quality apps that use Facebook's authentication system
IDG News Service - Facebook said Wednesday that it will launch an App Center where users can browse "high-quality" mobile apps that integrate with the social-networking site.
The App Center will host apps that work on Android and Apple's iOS operating systems and the web. However, users will have to go to Google Play or the App Store to download the apps.
Eligible apps include websites and mobile apps that use Facebook's authentication system to offer users a personalized experience as well as those hosted on commercial Facebook pages.
Facebook said an app must clearly delineate between content and advertising and set clear expectations about what user activity it shares.
The move came on the same day that Facebook filed an amended S-1 form with the Securities and Exchange Commission that expanded the company's description of the risk posed to its revenue model by users' growing preference for mobile, rather than desktop, access.
The filing, which is required paperwork leading up to Facebook's initial public offering later this month, warned that its current failure to monetize mobile users posed a financial risk. The filing cited efforts to improve mobile apps as part of the company's strategy.
"If users increasingly access Facebook mobile products as a substitute for access through personal computers, and if we are unable to successfully implement monetization strategies for our mobile users, or if we incur excessive expenses in this effort, our financial performance and ability to grow revenue would be negatively affected," the filing said.
Cameron Scott covers search, web services and privacy for The IDG News Service. Follow Cameron on Twitter at CScott_IDG.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!