Samsung, Qualcomm join forces on wireless charging
The two companies want to lower the cost of implementing the techology
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics and Qualcomm have joined forces and formed the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) which aims to accelerate the development of wireless charging, the companies said Monday.
The Alliance will work on a new wireless power transfer technology for the charging of devices in cars, on tabletops and multiple devices simultaneously at a lower cost than current products, Samsung and Qualcomm said in a joint statement.
The A4WP specification will support so-called spatial freedom, which holds the potential to extend wireless power applications beyond sleeves and mats on a desktop to embedded charging surfaces in furniture, machines and vehicles, according to the Alliance website.
This is not a new area for either company. Qualcomm has developed WiPower, which is "ideally suited for a forum like the A4WP," the company said.
The Alliance for Wireless Power isn't the only organization to address wireless charging. The Wireless Power Consortium published the Qi low power specification in August 2009, and the first product was certified in September the same year.
Products that offer wireless charging are slowly becoming more commonplace. For example, accessories for the Samsung Galaxy S III will include a wireless charging kit, the company said at a launch event last week.
Shipments of wireless power enabled devices are expected to surpass 100 million by 2015, according to market research company IMS Research.
Besides Samsung and Qualcomm, Ever Win Industries, Gill Industries, Peiker Acustic, Powermat Technologies, and SK Telecom are also members, and more are welcome to join, according to the two companies.
An event to launch the Alliance is planned on Tuesday at the CTIA Wireless 2012 trade show in New Orleans.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!