Seagate to demo 12Gbps SAS SSD
Seagate's upcoming SSD is backward-compatible with 6Gbps SAS systems
Computerworld - Seagate said it will demonstrate a 12Gbps SAS solid-state drive (SSD) at the SCSI Trade Association Technology Showcase this week.
Seagate's announcement comes on the heels of Western Digital's release of the industry's first 12Gbps SSD, which doubles the hardware interconnect throughput over the SAS interface currently used by most products. Seagate, however, did not say when the drive would ship.
As with all enterprise-class SAS drives -- both hard drives and SSDs -- prototype next generation SSD is dual-ported to resiliency, which means there are two I/O paths into the drive so that in case one path fails, the drive won't be inaccessible.
Both Western Digital and Seagate say that computer systems using 12Gbps SAS technology should start hitting the market in 2013, with general availability in the second half of that year.
Drives using the 12Gbps SAS interface can be used in 6Gbps systems as they are backward-compatible with all previous generations of SAS speeds. The 12Gbps SAS standard is expected to be finalized by the end of the year.
Seagate's implementation of 12Gbps SAS is fully compatible with controllers and other technologies from PMC-Sierra and LSI, two of the leading host bus adapter and expander vendors.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and healthcare IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Reduce IT Burdens: Regulation, Legal Hold & Discovery Download this white paper to learn how Delphix can be an integral part of ensuring your archiving strategy actually enables your business.
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts