Yahoo board to 'review' discrepancy in CEO's resume
Yahoo acknowledged earlier on Thursday that its CEO's resume overstated his technology background
IDG News Service - Yahoo said late Thursday that its board will review a discrepancy in the resume of its CEO, Scott Thompson, and "make an appropriate disclosure" to its shareholders.
Thompson's resume and the company's regulatory filings overstated his technology background to include a degree in computer science. The company said it was the result of "an inadvertent error."
Activist shareholder Daniel Loeb, who leads Third Point investment fund, wrote Thursday to the Securities and Exchange Commission, charging that Thompson's resume had been embellished.
Loeb is campaigning to have Yahoo appoint candidates he has proposed, including himself, to its board of directors, a move opposed by Thompson, who has his own candidates.
Thompson received a bachelor of science degree in business administration with a major in accounting from Stonehill College in Easton, Mass., and there was an inadvertent error that stated that he also holds a degree in computer science, Yahoo said earlier on Thursday.
"This in no way alters that fact that Mr. Thompson is a highly qualified executive with a successful track record leading large consumer technology companies," the company added.
It followed up with a statement later in the evening that Yahoo's board will be "reviewing this matter, and upon completion of its review, will make an appropriate disclosure to shareholders." The company did not provide a time-frame for the review.
[Cameron Scott in San Francisco contributed to this report]
- The Social Business: Unlocking the collective knowledge of people Five years ago, IBM observed the planet was becoming instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. 20,000 engagements later, here's what we know and believe about...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts