Yahoo board to 'review' discrepancy in CEO's resume
Yahoo acknowledged earlier on Thursday that its CEO's resume overstated his technology background
IDG News Service - Yahoo said late Thursday that its board will review a discrepancy in the resume of its CEO, Scott Thompson, and "make an appropriate disclosure" to its shareholders.
Thompson's resume and the company's regulatory filings overstated his technology background to include a degree in computer science. The company said it was the result of "an inadvertent error."
Activist shareholder Daniel Loeb, who leads Third Point investment fund, wrote Thursday to the Securities and Exchange Commission, charging that Thompson's resume had been embellished.
Loeb is campaigning to have Yahoo appoint candidates he has proposed, including himself, to its board of directors, a move opposed by Thompson, who has his own candidates.
Thompson received a bachelor of science degree in business administration with a major in accounting from Stonehill College in Easton, Mass., and there was an inadvertent error that stated that he also holds a degree in computer science, Yahoo said earlier on Thursday.
"This in no way alters that fact that Mr. Thompson is a highly qualified executive with a successful track record leading large consumer technology companies," the company added.
It followed up with a statement later in the evening that Yahoo's board will be "reviewing this matter, and upon completion of its review, will make an appropriate disclosure to shareholders." The company did not provide a time-frame for the review.
[Cameron Scott in San Francisco contributed to this report]
The Future of IT: From Chaos to Service Automation
Learn how innovative CIOs are automating IT services and:
* Delivering business solutions, including cloud services and app development on one SaaS platform...
What Does Friction Between Business and IT Cost your Organization?
See what 900 business and IT professionals had to say and get recommendations for change.
- Making the Move to a Cloud-Based IT Service Management (ITSM) Platform Today's mature cloud-based ITSM solutions can give you the flexibility and agility you need-without sacrificing security, stability or performance.
- A Practical Guide to Understand and Benefit from the Consumerization of IT This guide explores the realities of IT Consumerization to define challenges and opportunities. Learn best practices and get actionable recommendations.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts