Nokia ships 41-megapixel camera phone in May, hints at more to come
Porting the PureView camera technology to Windows Phone is a logical next step, according to an analyst
IDG News Service - Nokia will start shipping the PureView 808 in May and has extended its deal with Carl Zeiss, which will result in further advancements in smartphone imaging in the coming months and years, the company said Wednesday.
The Symbian-based PureView 808 was announced at Mobile World Congress, and will become available in Russia and India later this month. What sets the smartphone apart is its 41-megapixel sensor.
The PureView 808 was developed with Carl Zeiss, which Nokia will continue to work with on more PureView products. Together they will carry on developing PureView for future smartphones, Nokia said.
A natural next step would be to develop a PureView smartphone that uses Windows Phone. In March, Jo Harlow, executive vice president of Nokia Smart Devices, told a Finnish paper that a Windows phone with a similar camera is on the way, but didn't specify when it would arrive.
The PureView camera is impressive, and porting it to Windows Phone makes a lot of sense, according to Malik Saadi, principal analyst at Informa Telecoms & Media, as it would help Nokia to differentiate its products from the competition.
However, Saadi doesn't expect a Lumia PureView smartphone to arrive this year, he said.
Due to Symbian's dwindling fortunes, the PureView 808 will not become more than a niche product, according to Saadi
Additional countries where the smartphone will go on sale will be announced in the near future, Nokia said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts